Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturday Saturn

I took my first look at Saturn on Saturday night, after giving a friend a quick tour of Jupiter/Mars.

Seeing wasn't brilliant and Saturn was fairly low on the horizon which helped nothing.  However it was still a great sight.  Through the 8mm and 2x Barlow I could intermittently make out the Cassini Division so I was pleased enough. 

Here's to better seeing and a later night! :smiley:

~Kb

I took my first look at Saturn on Saturday night, after giving a friend a quick tour of Jupiter/Mars.

Seeing wasn't brilliant and Saturn was fairly low on the horizon which helped nothing.  However it was still a great sight.  Through the 8mm and 2x Barlow I could intermittently make out the Cassini Division so I was pleased enough. 

Here's to better seeing and a later night! :smiley:

~Kb

Hi, just curious with your 8mm and 2.25Barlow what is the Mag from your scope? If I did that with mine it would be 428!

I've been thinking (thinking being the operative word) of an 8mm or 6mm as a distant next EP and wondered what a 2.2x Barlow would show on my 1500 FL? I'm really thinking of the moon views?

Hi, just curious with your 8mm and 2.25Barlow what is the Mag from your scope? If I did that with mine it would be 428!

I've been thinking (thinking being the operative word) of an 8mm or 6mm as a distant next EP and wondered what a 2.2x Barlow would show on my 1500 FL? I'm really thinking of the moon views?

Hi Johnd, it's around about 140x... I've got an ST102 (Shor Tube 'frac)... (500/8)*2.25 - 140x.  Not sure if you've seen it or not, but there's a great thread pinned in General Help and Advice "Eyepieces - the very least you need" that should help you out with your choices for 'scope. 

~Kb

Hi Johnd, it's around about 140x... I've got an ST102 (Shor Tube 'frac)... (500/8)*2.25 - 140x.  Not sure if you've seen it or not, but there's a great thread pinned in General Help and Advice "Eyepieces - the very least you need" that should help you out with your choices for 'scope. 

~Kb

Hi, just saw your Messier spotted objects list (so far), so I'm guessing you've got pretty good skies there? I'm envious! What EP do you find you end up using mostly to see DSO's with your scope?

Hi, just saw your Messier spotted objects list (so far), so I'm guessing you've got pretty good skies there? I'm envious! What EP do you find you end up using mostly to see DSO's with your scope?

Skies aren't too bad as far as LP goes.  For DSO's I usually start with the 25mm for a nice wide view to locate the object then switch to the 15mm.  Whether I use the 8 or not depends on the object/conditions... obviously the more you magnify the "dimmer" the view of the object becomes.

As far as Planets go, I start with the 15 and then switch to the 8/Barlow.

~Kb

Archived