Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn's moons

Pauln

Just been out and had my first proper view of Saturn, something I will never forget, it was absolutely stunning.

Saw what I am sure where some of the moons too. I have a question though, using Stellarium it shows most of the moons to the right of Saturn at the moment, so am I right in saying that in my reflector they will be the opposite way around and appear to be on the left? If this is the case then I think I saw Titan and Rhea.

Thanks

Had another look at Saturn last night. I have now worked out the true field of view when using each eyepiece and that really helps when looking at Stellarium.

I was out from 21:30 20 22:30 using a Celestron 6" reflector. I could see Titan very clearly using a 9mm eyepeice and a 2x barlow and then with averted vision I could see Iapetus too. After a lot more patience and another half hour watching it I could just make out another moon on the opposite side, not really sure which one it was as there were a number grouped together on that side according to Stellarium.

After looking at Saturn itself for a while I started to make out darker and lighter bands on the surface (don't think it was my imagination), still can't see the division in the rings though.

Very good, Paul. The more you look, the more you'll see. 8) Picking out details takes practice-and good seeing-and patience, not necessarily in that order. Keep at it, and you'll see the Cassinni division soon enough!

When I got my telescope in December I never realised what it would be like. I had never used one before and thought you looked and saw and then moved on. I see now that as you study the object for longer you start to see more. This adds a challenge that I had not anticipated and makes it all the more interesting. When I saw Iapetus there was a real sense of accomplishment. I really am hooked on this.

When I got my telescope in December I never realised what it would be like. I had never used one before and thought you looked and saw and then moved on. I see now that as you study the object for longer you start to see more. This adds a challenge that I had not anticipated and makes it all the more interesting. When I saw Iapetus there was a real sense of accomplishment. I really am hooked on this.

I think that's the big breakthrough with this hobby - realising that you need to study an object night after night, training your eye gradually to pick out the elusive details when the seeing allows. With one or two exceptions, it's really not a pastime for those wanting "quick wins" but it is really rewarding when you do pick out a challenging feature or detail that you have been trying to see for ages.

This is a difficult concept to get over to newcomers to the hobby without sounding too negative - but it is important.

John

John

• 2 weeks later...

Archived