NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

mono camera advice needed?

Hi all: 

I have a DBK21 cam and am wanting to move up to a mono cam and filters.  I was thinking of a DMK21 618, but also was looking at ZWO.  Just wondering if SGL members would guide me in this? I would like the price to be close to that of the DMK. Mainly will use for planets and the moon, and would like to get the best bang for my bucks.

Thank you again for your input.

Cheers

Roger

Hi all: 

I have a DBK21 cam and am wanting to move up to a mono cam and filters.  I was thinking of a DMK21 618, but also was looking at ZWO.  Just wondering if SGL members would guide me in this? I would like the price to be close to that of the DMK. Mainly will use for planets and the moon, and would like to get the best bang for my bucks.

Thank you again for your input.

Cheers

Roger

The 618 chip is very sensitive but I find the size quite small. AS120 has a similarly small sensor,  almost as sensitive and cheaper but it is a slightly noisier camera. If at all possible and if the finances allow I would advise you towards Point Grey Grasshopper 3 cameras with the superb Sony ICX 674 sensors but be warned these are state of the art sensors and the price reflects this.http://www.ptgrey.com/products/grasshopper_express/grasshopper_express.asp

Regards,

A.G

Im looking for one myself. 

At first I was looking at the QHY5 but there seems to be mixed views on it. I was told the meade dsi would be a better, more sensitive option.

I would be keen to hear what others think of it!

QHY5L-IIm has the same sensor as the ZWO ASI120MM and is lighter and bit cheaper. It has a Nice 1.25inch barrel body.

So also an alternative to consider.

I got the QHY5L-IIc myself and works like a charm. :)

good point, as it now is supported by Firecapture software as well!

Im looking for one myself. 

At first I was looking at the QHY5 but there seems to be mixed views on it. I was told the meade dsi would be a better, more sensitive option.

I would be keen to hear what others think of it!

The QHY5 is a very old camera now. You need to look for the QHY5L-II. That one is very sensitive. Especially the Mono version.

The QHY5 is a very old camera now. You need to look for the QHY5L-II. That one is very sensitive. Especially the Mono version.

Yes, I was speaking to steve at FLO on the QHY5L-II....sorry. He advised me on getting the Mead DSI instead, although will probably end up getting it. 

They seem to use these sensors on many other branded guide cams, so must be ok!

He initially advised on the DMK 21AU618 but thats a little out my budget.

Archived