NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mono Planetary & Rotation

Mav359

Hi guys just a quick one i hope

I want to by a usb powered CCD/CMOS Camera for Lunar/Plantery/Solar.

Various cameras have been recommended in the £250(ish) range but one thing keeps getting said.... "Mono". Now that would require me to buy a filter wheel and a filter set which is more expense then i was going for but i have become curious

I have heard that if you are imaging Jupiter that you can't image for more then 90secs(ish) or you will start to see rotaional artifacts in the picture so you shoot your AVI for that long but if you have to use all three filters then do you only shoot for 30secs each filter to capture the data? & is jupiter the only Solar System based target that this effects?

Cheers

For short time lapses there is no problem with rotation. RGB within 3-4 mins will look good on standard RGB creation, bit better with winjupos RGB creation (it will take rotation state of every channel into account and align it). I use WinJUPOS for Jupiter nearly always, but I usually do LRGB - luminance channel recorded with L, yellow or orange filter - and the L channel is usually few minutes apart from RGB channels shoot in sequence and for shorter time.

For short time lapses there is no problem with rotation. RGB within 3-4 mins will look good on standard RGB creation, bit better with winjupos RGB creation (it will take rotation state of every channel into account and align it). I use WinJUPOS for Jupiter nearly always, but I usually do LRGB - luminance channel recorded with L, yellow or orange filter - and the L channel is usually few minutes apart from RGB channels shoot in sequence and for shorter time.

stupid question alert  :confused:  how does winJUPOS know where the axis is on the planet?

does anyone know any good NOOB videos for WINJUPOS.....? i downloaded for the 1st time earlier, but dam is it one hell of a hard program to use and figure out/get ya head round lol, i have been looking on youtube but the vids are not very good at all :(

Archived