Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon Dslr second hand

Sandraj

I don't know much about cameras, I don't want it for imaging now but maybe in the future with a different scope, so want a Canon.

I have a Macbook air, it doesn't have a CD drive and I understand that some Canon installation software is unavailable to download.

I want it for taking pics of birds mainly.

Which models should I look out for avoid? 

Any help, ideas?

Ta muchly for any help.

Cannot help a great deal but get one with live view on it, and preferably a screen tha can be tilted and angled.

Not sure of the anticipated budget but someone was posting that Argos are doing the 1100D at a good deal (yes I know you say second hand and it is new but maybe).

After that not a lot I can say or suggest.

Possibly the max ISO and exposure time, odd ask if it performs noise reduction.

Check what lens come with it.

If it´s purely for daytime use, then any Canon DSLR will do tho.

For example, I still have the 400D and it´s an excellent camera for daytime use. Can be picked up secondhand very cheap these days.

Tho, from 450D and onwards, you have Live View, which is a very nice feature.

So right now, I would be looking at atleast a 450D. The Canon 1100D is also interesting, as it has come down in price now it´s being replaced by the new 1200D.

It really depends on your budget. What do you want to spend?

If you have astrophotography in mind in near future, a Baader Astro modified 1100D can be candidate.

You can pick up one at cheapastrophotography "Refurbished to New" for £324.

Here the filter is replaced with a Baader filter, so it´s much more sensitive in the Ha band and you don´t need to change the white Balance settings for daytime use.

http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Available-Cameras.html

If you have experience with DSLR´s and don´t mind fiddling a bit with white balance settings, you could go for the regular "Astro Modified" Canon 1100D, which you can pick up at the same site for £274.

There is also one for sale now in the Clasifieds section!

I don't have astrophotography in mind for a long time as I won't be upgrading my scope any time soon so I won't really be interested in a modded one to be honest.

Is the installation software still available for the 450D? to be downloaded for a Macbook Air?

I don't have astrophotography in mind for a long time as I won't be upgrading my scope any time soon so I won't really be interested in a modded one to be honest.

Is the installation software still available for the 450D? to be downloaded for a Macbook Air?

Do you want to Remote Control the camera via Your macbook air? Or just Connect the camera to download the Pictures to Your Laptop?

If it´s just downloading the Pictures to Your Laptop after a photography session, you don´t need to download and install any Canon software and use the software you already have, like iPhoto, Lightroom, etc.

Just plug in the camera With the supplied USB cable and that´s it.

I myself never bothered installing any Canon software over the years I used mine.

Sandra, I bought the Canon 1100D (after it being recommended on here) and though it is quite basic- compared to others it is the ideal camera to start off with. I am more than happy with mine.

Do you want to Remote Control the camera via Your macbook air? Or just Connect the camera to download the Pictures to Your Laptop?

If it´s just downloading the Pictures to Your Laptop after a photography session, you don´t need to download and install any Canon software and use the software you already have, like iPhoto, Lightroom, etc.

Just plug in the camera With the supplied USB cable and that´s it.

I myself never bothered installing any Canon software over the years I used mine.

Thats great info thank you, it is to just download the pictures to the Macbook, nice to know I don't need the installation software, thanks.

I completely forgot. The latest DSLR´s no longer use Compact Flash, but SD Cards.

As you have the MacBook Air (my other half has the 2013 Version, me the MacBook Pro), it has an SD card Reader on the side.

So you can also just take out the SD card from the camera and stick it into your Laptop. :)

I completely forgot. The latest DSLR´s no longer use Compact Flash, but SD Cards.

As you have the MacBook Air (my other half has the 2013 Version, me the MacBook Pro), it has an SD card Reader on the side.

So you can also just take out the SD card from the camera and stick it into your Laptop. :)

Sounding better by the second  :laugh: thanks for all your help 

That looks like a decent deal indeed. Fantastic camera.

for cheap and second hand you cannot really go wrong with a 450D

if you can squeeze the extra a 500D . 

now 450D canon body only your looking at a starting price of around £130 - 180

the 500D your looking at around a starting price of say £180+ 

Lens units, your going to want a lens so a cheapy 18-55mm kit lens will do you fine,

this will give you handy portrait and landscape. 

for the longer reach you need a slightly bigger lens something like a 75-300mm or the cheaper 90-300mm 

all these lenses are EF mount , you must make sure a lens has either EF-s or EF at the start ie : EF-S 18-55 mm IS.

the 450D came with a SD card slot, so a nice class 6  @ 8gb card should get you going.

Canon software is downloadable , i had the same problem a windows system but no optical drive.

now im unsure if macs can do registry hacks, but you can fool the canon update software download

into thinking its a full installer  a google search on canon software registry hack may help, if not i could find a link to the

info required. but am not sure it will work with mac's

If you want to take pictures at birds you need 2 things, good fast autofocus and at least a 200mm lens (the standard 18-55 is way too slow and short)

Without knowing you budget i'd recommend a 7D or a 600D if the 7D is too costly. Older or cheaper models just don't have what's needed for this kind of photography.

For lens a cheap good option is the 70-200mm f/4, this has very fast autofocus that works for birds in flight. Most budget zoom lenses just don't have a fast enough autofocus for you kind of use.

If you want to take pictures at birds you need 2 things, good fast autofocus and at least a 200mm lens (the standard 18-55 is way too slow and short)

Without knowing you budget i'd recommend a 7D or a 600D if the 7D is too costly. Older or cheaper models just don't have what's needed for this kind of photography.

For lens a cheap good option is the 70-200mm f/4, this has very fast autofocus that works for birds in flight. Most budget zoom lenses just don't have a fast enough autofocus for you kind of use.

It really depends on her demands. If you have the Money. Sure go as fast and best as possible. But when on a budget, a lot can be done for less.

I have done a lot of nature photography myself years ago as a hobby. Photographed many animals and birds. Loved hunting the elusive eagle in the Alpes and photographing it, as well as the marmots there in Natural habitat. Damn they were fast and you had to be quick hehe. Having 400mm effective zoom really helped at the time to keep a distance.

I did this all with an analog Canon 500N and Sigma 70-300 zoom lens. Which was more than expensive enough at the time when I was a student.

It´s more challenging with small fast moving birds. But I actually got a lot of satisfaction and pride out of it, when I managed to take the shot.

I always think that if you do photography for a living and depend on it. Go buy the best stuff there is. But for hobby and fun, it´s more fun, challenging and satisfactory using modest Equipment.

But that is just me.

Sorry, should of been a bit clearer, I want to take pics of them in the garden, on the feeder and in the trees by the house and on my walks, no fancy flight shooting, its just a bit of fun and a light hobby. My phone camera has been serving me well for what I do, I just want that little bit more fun.

hiya

ya could have a look on a couple sites i've visited that do new & used of various models.

www.wexphotographic.com

www.mpbphotographic.co.uk

i recent bought a Canon 500D for £174 second hand off MPB no lens thou but there are some offers with lenses

hope this helps

clear skies

john

9-10 wildlife photographers would rather run a full frame. 

and what does everyone always say, try fill the frame with subject, thats kind of hard in full frame bodys.

now long range its good you can supercrop, but that depends on lens. 

for the OP's needs like in the garden out and about, the 18-55 will do fine,

flowers, potraits, selfies etc etc. yep autofocus is a bit draggy, but to a newcomer they do not see or feel this in images like 

those that have upgraded a few times.

the 75-300 or even the real cheapy ( £70 new) 90-300 is fine on an APS_C crop body.

infact that crop equates the 300mm lens to a 420mm+ in 35mm equiv. thats a nice tight shot

and a lot less cropping for a newcomer. tripod up and they go go fairly slow on shutter,

ideal for the garden , a bird table is at a set distance from the camera usually.

i now own a 400mm F5 prime its awesome but has a mid range focal band to infinity.

i looked at a canon 400mm but at a £1000 it was well away from my league as most, but the 400mm @f5 only cost £80

now i can fess up and say its NOT a camera lens its a telescope but all the same its fast and does the job i need,

and on my canon 350D it works a dream. in the bright sun i can be shooting at f5 and 1/3000s thats quick

Dont go mad and shell out lots, check out Wex as said, they have a second hand area

the cameras will be used, so have some war wounds, scrapes and scratches, but look out for a shutter count.

the lower the shutter count the less the camera has been used,

TRIPOD !!! cannot say how much this was a help , you can set the tripod up plop camera on

line it all up and use a remote trigger to fire the camera, no need to get up or move an scare birds.

also means you can be near an open window and cut out glare and reflection that sometimes happens.

camera as they go up in model change slightly, i am not quite sure on the 450D but some also have a video mode

handy when the family is around or your away on a holiday etc etc, so maybe this could factor in to.

hiya

ya could have a look on a couple sites i've visited that do new & used of various models.

www.wexphotographic.com

www.mpbphotographic.co.uk

i recent bought a Canon 500D for £174 second hand off MPB no lens thou but there are some offers with lenses

hope this helps

clear skies

john

Thanks John, will take a look  :laugh:

9-10 wildlife photographers would rather run a full frame. 

and what does everyone always say, try fill the frame with subject, thats kind of hard in full frame bodys.

now long range its good you can supercrop, but that depends on lens. 

for the OP's needs like in the garden out and about, the 18-55 will do fine,

flowers, potraits, selfies etc etc. yep autofocus is a bit draggy, but to a newcomer they do not see or feel this in images like 

those that have upgraded a few times.

the 75-300 or even the real cheapy ( £70 new) 90-300 is fine on an APS_C crop body.

infact that crop equates the 300mm lens to a 420mm+ in 35mm equiv. thats a nice tight shot

and a lot less cropping for a newcomer. tripod up and they go go fairly slow on shutter,

ideal for the garden , a bird table is at a set distance from the camera usually.

i now own a 400mm F5 prime its awesome but has a mid range focal band to infinity.

i looked at a canon 400mm but at a £1000 it was well away from my league as most, but the 400mm @f5 only cost £80

now i can fess up and say its NOT a camera lens its a telescope but all the same its fast and does the job i need,

and on my canon 350D it works a dream. in the bright sun i can be shooting at f5 and 1/3000s thats quick

Dont go mad and shell out lots, check out Wex as said, they have a second hand area

the cameras will be used, so have some war wounds, scrapes and scratches, but look out for a shutter count.

the lower the shutter count the less the camera has been used,

TRIPOD !!! cannot say how much this was a help , you can set the tripod up plop camera on

line it all up and use a remote trigger to fire the camera, no need to get up or move an scare birds.

also means you can be near an open window and cut out glare and reflection that sometimes happens.

camera as they go up in model change slightly, i am not quite sure on the 450D but some also have a video mode

handy when the family is around or your away on a holiday etc etc, so maybe this could factor in to.

I have a tripod for my Spotter scope, so that is less expense, I have an Acuter Pro ST20x60x80mm

Update-

My husband got fed up with me looking online trying to decide which Camera to go for and from where, so he took me to Curry's today and we bought the 1100D on offer with the extra 75 - 300mm lens, hopefully I will have loads of fun with it  :smiley: thanks everyone for your help.

Archived