NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finding my feet with DSS

Hi all. Just been playing around with taking some 7sec RAW (non tracked) star shots to play around with software and get used to how it works - been playing with REGISTAX and DSS. I realise I'm not going to get anything worthwhile, just wanted to work out how the stacking/alignment all works and play with the processing to get "something" out at the end. I am slowly figuring it all out, and have been playing more with DSS as I can chuck in the RAW files straight away.

I had 12 shots last night with 5 Darks and 5 Flats (I think). I used DSS to check them and stack them all and the image at the end could be manipulated to show a pretty impressive number of stars across a dark field. While I won't write home about the quality, it is helping me figure out what I am doing. I need to work out the processing of the TIFF file after DSS as, when I open teh 16-bit save file in GIMP (for example) the image is darker and the detail seems to have disappeared - but that is half the fun of learning.

Anyhoo, my question is, after stacking etc, DSS gives me a TIFF file that is about 1000x2800 pixels, so it is a tall oblong image - a very different aspect ratio to the original images.

As I am new to this, is that normal, or is there likely something that is going wrong in the processing - I kind of expect the images to be difficult to stack with such small exposures, so that may well be an image. As I say, this was just for practice with the software, so wasn't expecting miracles, but if there is something I am missing with the output TIFF, it would be great to know!

Have scanned some threads and can't find an answer, but apologies if it is in here somewhere!

Many thanks!

Thanks everyone - hoped it would be something like this. Saw the alert on DSS last night when I was loading up the photos, but thought I would do it later as it was 3am and I had only downloaded the software on Monday, so thought it would be pretty much up to date! Sorry for asking a daft question....will pop off to update it now!

Thanks again - after working out what on earth a .RAR file is, I've updated DSS and it seems to be working with the RAW files from my 1100D. Now all I need to do is build by barn door tracker, take some decent pictures and teach myself how to process the images.......just a few minor things! :laugh:

Archived