NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Getting a 2" 50mm Orion Eyepiece for my C11 !

Hi Mark, should be interesting, it will be quite different to the eyepieces you already have.  I would have thought one of the ES82 Series would have been of more interest, especially as in the States they are much cheaper than in the UK.  Let us know how you get on!

Mark,

I did much the same thing as you except it was the 55mm TV Plossl and whilst it gave a low magnification and wide FOV I still kept going back to the 41mm Panoptic and Meade 40mm SWA. I found both better and in the end the 55mm went to Ireland for another person to try the same.

I wrote a piece on the focal reducer which is somewhere in equipmwnt reviews, this is where you get your widest FOV but you have to get the correct eyepieces. The same will work on you scope.

It is 2 inch visual back with reducer at the front, 2 inch diagonal, then either 24mm UWA Meade type or similar or 28mm SWA, this does not vignette and gives the widest FOV from my LX 200 12inch I am sure you will get the same type of result with a slightly wider field due to it being shorter F/L.

Alan

When I had a C8 SCT I had a 50mm plossl for a while. I didn't get on with it to be honest as I found the eye relief longer than the eyepiece so the correct eye position was some way off the top of the eyepiece and I also found that I was seeing the shadow of the secondary mirror in some circumstances.

I switched to a 40mm super wide (an Aero ED I think which is the same as the Astro Tech Titan II) and found I could see as much sky as the 50mm plossl showed but the other issues were not evident.

Archived