Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My lonely pentax got a brother - Hurrah !

AlexB67

Can't wait to try this little beauty, I am sure they need no introduction and one had been on my to buy list for a while, only for a nice member here (Jetstream)  reminded me  there was going second hand as 6 - 8mm eyepieces were discussed some time earlier last week. I simply could not resist and snapped it up without hesitation. ( thanks Stu :) ).

The XW wasn't actually the next one on my list I was going to buy, at least that was the plan, a Delos 14 or 17.3mm, though I had not yet decided.  This winter and early spring so far left me with only about two local darker sky trips and not much deeper sky observing from home (as much as the latter is possible) , and with a poor and cloudy winter weather progress stalled, whenever the weather was clear the moon was out, the 2 - 3 nights I recall that would have been good I was otherwise tied up. The end result, I felt I wasn't at the required stage where I could  make up my mind as yet with regard to my longer focal length upgrades, though I have a fair idea and still think the 17.3 Delos is the most likely candidate next, but time will tell. :smiley:

On the other hand, using the shorter focal lengths however I managed to get a lot of planetary observing done, also other brighter targets in the last few months clocking some long hours, so I knew it was only a matter of time before the XW or XL 7mm would be added to the collection.

As I said, can't wait to try it, not just for planets of course PNs, globs, doubles  will also be great in this eyepiece in the 10 inch Dob and more no doubt. 

It is even clear today, though a moon will be out, no doubt I will be giving it a bit of  a test run later on tonight. :smiley:

Happy chappy today :grin:

post-30537-0-04125600-1397564639_thumb.p

Congratulations Alex.

Having an XW on loan (the 10mm) lured me away from my T6 Nagler collection  :smiley:

IMHO they are really superb eyepieces - I've described them as 70 degree orthos with 20mm of eye relief, they are that good.

I currently have the 5mm and 3.5mm XW's and they have proved the best Mars eyepieces in my collection.

Many congratulations Alex on another Pentax, I think you will like it. Like John I have the 3.5mm and 5mm at the moment though one is not mine. I found that the 7mm XW did indeed out gun the 7mm T6 Nagler but not by much and in any case they are different eyepieces so maybe it not a fair test, I still like the T6's.

Alan.

Thanks Michael. Jupiter views were stunning in it last night, my initial reaction was this,

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/214001-more-mars-detail/?p=2293077

My initial impression is that this eyepiece is a mind blowing bit of optics that leaves you feeling, where is the glass ?? there is so much clarity.  Somewhere pentax managed to push a 6 lens groups in there and you would not even know it was there :grin:

Thanks Michael. Jupiter views were stunning in it last night, my initial reaction was this,

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/214001-more-mars-detail/?p=2293077

My initial impression is that this eyepiece is a mind blowing bit of optics that leaves you feeling, where is the glass ?? there is so much clarity.  Somewhere pentax managed to push a 6 lens groups in there and you would not even know it was there :grin:

I couldn't agree more after recently acquiring a 7mm and 10mm XW from the classifieds on here. They really are incredible EP's with the views of Jupiter, Mars and the Moon in particular being stunning so far. I knew they were good as I'd done a comparison between my 7mm BGO, a 7mm Nagler and a 7mm XW at last winters Galloway Star Camp with the other EP's supplied by two other attendees and we were all of the same opinion that the XW won and by more than just a slight margin. The more I use them the more I'm enjoying the views, I can see these EP's being with me for a very long time!! :smiley:

I've also had the opportunity to try them out in my mates Evostar 120ED and in his PST again the views have been stunning so I can't rate them highly enough.....  :icon_salut:

Archived