Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

lake district

Hi all,

I am heading down to the lake district in june, has anyone any experiences or advice on dark sky locations, or any asto clubs in that area. Hoping to get some good gazing done, weather permitting of course, cheers guys and thanks.

Jamie

Skywatcher 200p eq5, celestron 114 gotomount, x-cel-lx and es 82 eps.nikon d3100 camera.

For dark skies one of the best locations is the head of the Langdale Valley.

Get to Ambleside and follow the signs for Coniston then as soon as you have crossed the bridge at the head of the lake turn right - its signposted Skelwith Bridge and Elterwater - follow the road until you get past the village of Elterwater and then keep going up the Langdale Valley - at the very end you will go through a  farmers yard and think you are lost - keep going and you will climb a very steep road with lots of hairpins - at the top you will have fantastic vistas on all compass points and virtually no lp and loads of places to stop and set up.

If you keep going along this road it will join up with the Wrynose and Hardknott pass which leads out to the coast - anywhere along the passes is great for dark skies.

Skipper billy,

Cheers for the info, will pay the area a visit when down, and hopefully get some quality gazing time in, this site is superb for info from guys like yourself, thanks again.

Jamie

Just North East away from the lakes, about 10 miles east of Carlisle is Geltsdale RSPB site just been granted a Night Sky location as far as I'm aware.

I've been to the car park there a couple of times.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/g/geltsdale/

Inside the district itself, there must be lots of places, but seeing anywhere near the horizon must be difficult due to the large hills.

I would say a drive around the upper hills would also be of benefit.

Took the wife down there 4-5 months age to be amazed at the amount of stars that you can see - even without a scope.  She was really impressed. Just pulled into a layby in a back road away from LP  and looked all round - awesome - 4-5 Shooting stars and a satellite, all easily seen within the half hour we were watching. My brother in law and his wife want to come with us on our next trip.

For dark skies one of the best locations is the head of the Langdale Valley.

Get to Ambleside and follow the signs for Coniston then as soon as you have crossed the bridge at the head of the lake turn right - its signposted Skelwith Bridge and Elterwater - follow the road until you get past the village of Elterwater and then keep going up the Langdale Valley - at the very end you will go through a  farmers yard and think you are lost - keep going and you will climb a very steep road with lots of hairpins - at the top you will have fantastic vistas on all compass points and virtually no lp and loads of places to stop and set up.

If you keep going along this road it will join up with the Wrynose and Hardknott pass which leads out to the coast - anywhere along the passes is great for dark skies.

Nice one, I am going to be around here in September.  I will take these directions with me...Weather permitting !

Archived