SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Conjunction and opposition

SlyReaper

So conjunction is when the planet is on the opposite side of the sun, opposition is when the planet is conjoined in its orbit with Earth... Is it just me, or does this make no sense?

I ask because I was only just corrected about it yesterday.  For years, I've been using conjunction to mean when a planet is on the same side of the sun as the Earth, and opposition for when it's on the opposite side.

The superior planets (orbits outside earths) are said to be at conjunction when they are directly behind the sun as seen from earth.

The Inferior planets have two types of conjunction. Inferior conjunction ~ when they are between the earth and the sun and exterior conjunction ~ when on the far side of the sun.

Opposition is when a planet is opposite the sun in the sky.

The superior planets (orbits outside earths) are said to be at conjunction when they are directly behind the sun as seen from earth.

The Inferior planets have two types of conjunction. Inferior conjunction ~ when they are between the earth and the sun and exterior conjunction ~ when on the far side of the sun.

Opposition is when a planet is opposite the sun in the sky.

Absolutely right Steve. The confusing thing is that the word conjunction can be used in a few different ways. I think between us we have covered it pretty well. :icon_salut:

I use this understanding for 'conjunction'...

...when 2 or more celestial objects 'appear' to be close for an earth based observer.   irrespective of their real positions.

Opposition is an absolute statement of position relative to the sun and earth.

Cheers

Paul

Archived