NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars 09/04/2014

RikM

I'm not much of a planetary observer/sketcher but with Mars more or less at opposition and with a great seeing night, I thought I would give it a go.

I need some different pencils really as I only have the colours for Jupiter. I feel a Raw Sienna may find its way into the case at the weekend :)

post-5915-0-26788700-1397221931_thumb.jp

post-5915-0-26788700-1397221931_thumb.jp

I had a quick 10 minute look at Mars last night with my 16" and didnt see any more detail than in your sketch Rik.

I havent got any coloured pencils, what ones do you use?

Mike, I use watercolour pencils for sketching. I have used Derwent pencils for years but more recently I have started using Faber-Castell Albrecht Duerer pencils and these are outstanding. For Jupiter I normally use Dark Naples Ochre, Raw Umber (and Medium Flesh for the red spot, I went through a whole bunch of them and that was the closest match to how I see it.)

I think for Mars, Raw Sienna for the disc and Raw Umber or Burnt Umber for the dark areas would probably be better. I think I'll take a trip to Hobbycraft tomorrow and make some scribbles :)

Mike, I use watercolour pencils for sketching. I have used Derwent pencils for years but more recently I have started using Faber-Castell Albrecht Duerer pencils and these are outstanding. For Jupiter I normally use Dark Naples Ochre, Raw Umber (and Medium Flesh for the red spot, I went through a whole bunch of them and that was the closest match to how I see it.)

I think for Mars, Raw Sienna for the disc and Raw Umber or Burnt Umber for the dark areas would probably be better. I think I'll take a trip to Hobbycraft tomorrow and make some scribbles :)

Cheers Rik.

I've tried Derwent before and didnt get on with them but will give the Faber Castell's a try. How are they different to Derwent, bit softer or harder?

The Faber Castells are probably a bit softer than the Derwent WC but they lay down great colour and wash well with water. The main reason I bought them was they were available as single pencils so I could get the same colours as I use in my Windsor and Newton watercolour pans.

New pencils purchased :) Faber-Castell Polychromos in Terracotta #186 and Walnut Brown #177. The nearest matches in the AD water colour range was probably Brown Ochre and Burnt Umber. I prefer working with the AD's the polychromos don't blend so nicely but the Brown Ochre is a bit too flat-brown, the Terracotta has that lovely orange-red tint and the Walnut has a blueish tint to it that just matches the eyepiece view I get.

post-5915-0-05345600-1397404735_thumb.jp

Yes, they do but not as well as normal graphite pencil. The watercolour ones smudge and blend together better than the oil based polychromos but they don't offer the full range of colours in each style :( (at least not in Hobbycraft Gloucester).

do these smudge with a blending stump?

Pastel pencils work well with blending stumps Shane, I've found Conte work really well, if you are near an art shop it'll be worth picking a couple up to have a play with.

Archived