Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Last night - with my new Celestron Nexstar 130SLT

Essentially I just wanted to post my excitement after my first viewing experience last night.

Recently purchased an eBay special, Celestron Nexstar 130SLT, collimated (nearly 100%) and star alligned.

Viewing Jupiter was brilliant, the first time I've actually seen bands on the planet (previously through my Celestron Skymaster bino', only ever managed to see the planet and moons).

I do however have a question, if anyone could help.

When I moved to other "go-to" objects in the database, it was pretty far off e.g. Mars. 

Not sure if this was because my original alignment wasn't accurate enough although I thought I was pretty spot on.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

My alignment was done by using the finder, which obviously I did think at the time was pretty inaccurate, but not to the extent when I used the "go-to".

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my 5mm xcel EP from FLO, it's in the post, somewhere, so I've got a 15mm and barlow available. Shall definitely use the EP in the future though when aligning.

Charic, I've got a Cheshire collimator, it's essentially fully lined up but i was struggling with moving the primary mirror about so it's very slightly off - need to get to a social for someone with experience to look at, or at least, that's my plan.

.......The fact that you said Jupiter was brilliant says things seem ok, but fully collimated can only improve things. I was going to add, its either collimated or not, you wouldn't want to have it at some percentage below that of 100%? 

Is it some guidance you need, this site is often referred too.    http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm      Give it a good read over a couple of times. Then follow the bits that apply. 

Great link, thank you. I'll give it some thorough reading and double check with my collimator. 

Jupiter did seem pretty excellent, but maybe, like you suggest, it could be improved.

I'll get to grips with it, the more I experience collimating, I'm sure.

Thanks though for the advice Charic, appreciated.

Archived