Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Control EQMOD or ST4

I am just setting up my NEQ6 and have managed to get the ST4 going well and am getting 5 min subs even while my alignment is a ittle suspect.

Is there any point in trying to get the EQMod thing going, does it guide betterl?

I've got connection to my Stellarium control and it follows commands but the guider didn't want to asnwer the call so I went with ST4

There is that saying "if it ain't broke... don't fix it".  If ST4 works fine then that's great.  But EQMOD is only part of the alternative.  The actual guiding is done through a 3rd party application such as PHD or PHD2.  This application communicates with EQMOD via the ASCOM platform, and works well.  As to it be better.. that's a matter of personal opinion, and I'm not that knowledgeable into the mechanics of EQMOD so can't really comment on the advantages of using it as opposed to ST4 guiding, but for me it works and gives me similar results of between 5 and 10 minutes subs.

i switched from st4 to eqmod pulse guiding a few weeks ago. for me, it seems eqmod is slightly better, but that may or may not be down to becoming more accurate with polar alignment as i started using alignmaster at roughly the same time. it has the advantage of one less cable hanging off the scope as well.

I have an NEQ6pro mount running under EQmod/ CdC.

For guiding I've been using a Lodestar with PHD2 and the ST-4 cable...no issues, no drama.

Recently I changed over to AstroArt "slit option" guiding/ ST-4 - for the spectroscope and find it, for me to be very good.

I can position and "tweak" the guide star onto a known slit X-Y position and hold it there indefinitely. The slit gap is 29 micron at the prime focus of a C11 at f10....

Archived