NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starguider bag

Charic

The new lens bag arrived today. Quite impressive. Here against a 30cm Rule.
Plenty of side pocket space for tools. I zippered mesh  pocket, 4 small individual pockets, and space between for my tool bag.
Fully kitted out with my BST Starguiders
*Not sure how to fit the new supplied astro  star alignment  guider to my OTA ??
Note: The die-cut holes may feel a little too tight for the Starguider barrels ! ( tight enough to pull of the EP base caps? ) The two Skywatcher EP's fit no bother, as do the others, but the BST's are just not standard, their better, but the barrels are fatter  :grin:
The foam insert is a generalised insert fit as compared to/with other variants. There are several OEM's of this bag, just the name badge differs, TeleVue, Zhumell
Where you see the bulk of EP's (top centre of the foam inlay)  I have reduced the height of the foam inlay, so they sit lower in the case. The top foam for the lid, I trimmed the corners to rounded from square, but still might need a little sticky thing to hold the weight of the foam in place. The main and side zips can be padlocked together to prevent  unauthorised access!
I now have a suitable case for my EP's and all accessories, and have already  memorised their unique positions :smiley:
I purchased this from  Alan at  skies_unlimited, very happy with the service and speed of delivery, as always.
*I know  the first has passed??

I bought the StarGuider bag a couple of months ago, nice bag, but

had the same problem with the fit of the barrels, had to modify the size

of the holes for them to fit, the 2" ep's fit perfect but the StarGuiders,

which the bag was intended were far to tight, but the bag other than that

is excellent, seems strange they never tried an ep to see if it did fit, other

than that it's a great bag and good value for money. 

ronl......From what I've see on the internet, the die-cut foam pattern is repeated through  the various OEM's.  Just the badge name is different.  I looked recently on-line, and its possible to buy "Foam cutters" that slot into a drill bit, for upholsterers, but they were not cheap. As you may see if you enlarge the image showing my contents, the foam inlay that holds four of the BST's has been cut lengthwise to reduce its height. This is the only modification Iv'e needed so far.

layout: Front right is my 32mm then from right to left  BST 5mm  (the SW 10 & 25 Supers!) then the BST 8,12,15,18 with the 25mm on the left. followed by Barlow, laser and next to the 32mm is a 2" adaptor for the 32mm with the 35mm col-cap stored inside. I have  a Cheshire, Rocket Puffer and filters in the centre front position. I may use some double sided tape to hold the lid sponge in place. Its a heavy density foam that tends to fall out of the lid. I may even stitch in some elastic cord to hold the foam in place. That could also  allow me to stow some sheets or a Planisphere behind the foam inlay?

I was able to borrow a foam cutter from a mate of mine, which made the job 

fairly straight forward, as to modding the bag there are a few things I too have been

thinking about doing, one is to put thin ply on the bottom and fit four studs to act as

feet for the bag to stand on, it might stop the bottom from wearing out, the elastic in

the lid is a good idea too, still think they should of tried a StarGuider before they put

the badge on though, everything else fits perfectly. 

Archived