Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarium time?

ronin

Looking with Stellarium at the sky in 2-3 weeks time - something coming up.

I set the time to 21:00 and Mars was half reasonable at that time, which I thought a bit odd, expected it to be lower.

So when it is actually BST does Stellarium know it is BST or does it assume that the time is always UTC?

Cannot see a config option, but that screens are so dim I cannot read them anyway. So for all I can tell it could be the first option presented to me on the screen.

Hi Ronin,

Stellarium seems to assume system time as "standard" reference.

I run my "astro progs" computer constantly on UTC, disabling the BST function.

In Stellarium select "Configuration window" spanner on L of screen. Select "Plug ins", select "Time Zone" at bottom left , click "configure" and select within the Time zone page,  "UTC" ( second option down on mine)

Regards,

Les

It is set to use System Time. 21:15 at this time.

Is that known to be 21:15 BST or assumed to be 21:15 UTC.

It is just an hours difference but 1 hour on how high Mars is, or will be, is significant in this case.

Im confused i use stellarium to set PA on a my EQ3-2 but have no idea now if its correct i cant double check the position with polar finder because i dont know if thats in error too.

I am using system time.

Alan

If you mean RA not PA then it is irrelevant, RA is the position in relation to the meridian and is independanrt of what time you are using - UHT or BST.

My real question is when Stellarium takes the time (system) and you see Mars is at X above the horizon on the screen in early April, is it there (BST) or will be there in another hour (UTC). Makes a difference if planning for an evening with people to view things. The difference is that for the first you can just see it reasonably, for the second it will be too low.

Archived