NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Additions as well as the camper

garethmob

Hello guys, i was wondering if i can have some advice on 2 specific topics please as iv never used both on a temperary basis.

the first is awning.   now some of you might know i have a 1970 odd starcraft starflyer pop up camper, and its fair play in really good condition, but im not sure if i want to attach the awning which came with it (which i admit i have never taken out of the bag let alone put up) as i dont want it ripping the side off.   the camper is a wind up one wish flexy canvus between the base and the roof. when i went to the SWG2 starparty in october i didnt use it but i did feel restricted in space (even with the tardis size camper i have) as there was some things i would like to have out like table etc but couldnt if it rained so kept tripping over them.

so i was looking at one of these,  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390806748140?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 (auction might finish by time you see it but look any way)   a pop up gazebo which i would deffinatly fix into the ground with pegs and guide ropes but it wouldnt be physically attached to the trailer, but i would have 1 end open but up against it,  3 sides closed but open when im up and about.  i would also keep my electric coolbox in there and most likely cook as i dont fancy my canvus going up in a nice orange flames (there is a pun there:P as its got burnt orange canvas)      so advice please:)

and the next is dogs.     whats the best thing for dogs on a campsite,   iv never taken mine, and hes a very very socialable dog but has a bad habbit of jumping up on people like a springer  (hes a cross between saluki and grayhound) and even though he looks like hes 5kgs when you have a 28kg dog jumping onto you you feel it.  im tempted to try him for one day and night (as hes not a barking dog when hes inside, he very much likes his "bed") and if he misbehaves i'll take him home, but it might get expensive on fuel for me visiting him every day.    

so advice greatly appreaceated :)

gareth

lol i know that peter! there will be plenty of my expensive stuff out which he be going no where near.  he shall be having a very small leish, but in the evenings hes completly happy with being on his own inside   so im ok with that, but its more iv never done it before on campsites so i dont know if theres any tips longtime campers with dogs have

short leash is very advisable

one day quite a few of us were fishing a local river with a path alongside
some woman had a dog on an expandable lead walked by, dog decided to investigate and ran around, under, jumping over rods & rests
needless to say it was carnage and one broken (expensive) rod

I have changed my view on dogs completely in the last couple of years since my wife sprung one on me while I was at PSP 2011. to be fair I sprung a 16" dob on her so we're about even :grin:

he's lovely and makes us both laugh a lot, he's great when we are family camping but he's a nightmare at star parties as he wants to be rnning off investigating all the time. people will really not take kindly to yours going near their kit but if he's well behaved and in the tent there's obviously no problem at all. we tend to stake our dog's lead into the ground with three strong pegs.

sadly i cant trust him on his own roaming,  even on a long lead,   hes got the 2 best sight hound breeds in him and i once let him off and he saw a rabbit and was gone.  took me an hour to find him as he had managed to get onto the local 18 hole golfcourse, which luckly was a public right of way and early in the morning. 

im thinking of putting him on one of them twisty spikes into the ground and just using his current lead as the leash and the spare as his walking.   are the lanes 2 cars wide or single.?    

iv got a really bad feeling he will only be there one night :( which is a shame as its only me and him and you do get used to the large lump lieing on the bottom of the bed.    but there we go.   thanks for the dog help guys

any one for the awning / gazebo?

Dogs especially larger  ones need to be kept under close control  at all times as there will be a lot of delicate and expensive kit setup around the place...

Peter....

Agreed. I've nothing against dogs but I don't really want them jumping all over me !.

any one for the awning / gazebo?

yes I quite fancy one of those myself as a telescope shelter and wind buffer for the garden

the fact they have removable side walls is very handy and big enough to get a table in to take my laptop etc

wife will be a bit miffed as I can see it being a permanent feature for most of the time

those  gazebo's make great kites if the wind gets up. I have on several occasions seen them ripped out by wind and I know some camp sites have banned them because of it. You may want to give lucksall a ring and see what their policy is.

those  gazebo's make great kites if the wind gets up. I have on several occasions seen them ripped out by wind and I know some camp sites have banned them because of it. You may want to give lucksall a ring and see what their policy is.

yes I seen them take a beating at some festivals I have worked at inc flying away

I'm thinking more of a temp / semi permanent fixture with some decent sized pegs holding it down and bringing it in when req

it would certainly help to block some LP from the streetlamp at the bottom of my garden and help with the wind shake if its more than 5mph side on

Archived