Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good dark sky areas nr ashbourne/uttoxeter

darthvader

Anyone know any good areas near the above for observing?

Preferably where there aren't people [removed word] or yobbos drinking!

Don't mind traveling a bit probably somewhere in the south peak district I guess? Somewhere where I don't have to cart the dob too far too from the car...

Around Ilam is pretty dark (or was the last time I was there), only problem is hills block a lot of the sky there. Axe Edge/Roaches area too (but mind the firing ranges!). Not been there at night but maybe Weaver hills as well?

Hi Walshie

Ilam sounds a good bet - i walk the dog round there quite a bit and they've got a car park next to the campsite that might be suitable?, or maybe Blore Pastures which is about a mile away and much higher up (small car park there too) - never been there at night though funnily enough !

I live very close to the Weaver Hills and have been up there with the binoculars a few times, but to be honest couldn't see more detail than I could from by back garden strangely enough, although you can see virtually all 4 directions very clearly. Might try taking the dob up there once the weather clears...

Never been to Axe Edge - just looked it up and it's close to Longnor which i have been to (nice cafes ! - pity they don't open at nighttime !) - might give that a whirl too.

Never been to the Roaches either ? what's there ? any good for dog walking ? if so might take the dog up in the next couple of days to take a look.

Hi Walshie

Ilam sounds a good bet - i walk the dog round there quite a bit and they've got a car park next to the campsite that might be suitable?, or maybe Blore Pastures which is about a mile away and much higher up (small car park there too) - never been there at night though funnily enough !

I live very close to the Weaver Hills and have been up there with the binoculars a few times, but to be honest couldn't see more detail than I could from by back garden strangely enough, although you can see virtually all 4 directions very clearly. Might try taking the dob up there once the weather clears...

Never been to Axe Edge - just looked it up and it's close to Longnor which i have been to (nice cafes ! - pity they don't open at nighttime !) - might give that a whirl too.

Never been to the Roaches either ? what's there ? any good for dog walking ? if so might take the dog up in the next couple of days to take a look.

Lots of people go rock climbing along the Roaches but it would be good for dog walking too, it's a long ridge with loads of footpaths (check out Luds church which is a kind of cave but above ground, strange place). There are car parks just off the A53 but they get busy at weekends (should be OK at night though). You could also try down by Gradbach which must be pretty dark too.

It's a long time since I went walking around Ilam (late 90s) but I remember there being a fairly large car park at the entrance to Dovedale and one by the youth hostel (if that is still there). The bit between was very dark, I thought of it because I did a challenge walk around there that ended well after dark and we needed headtorches on that stretch.

I used to rent a cottage in Snelston, many years ago. That was incredibly dark, slightly in a dip but minimal direct Light pollution.   I think that the estate owners name was Charles Stanton (?) - lovely chap - you might try calling him to see if it's okay to park up on his land in a dark corner. Don't have his number, but there's not going to be that many Stantons in Snelston.

Archived