Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

600D Astro-modded-C11 SCT first light

Tinker1947

The Modded 600D arrived Monday comparing it to my 1100D Unmodded, it has a swivel slightly bigger LCD very handy when the scope is pointing upwards, the general button layout is a lot better having similar button to the 1100D made it easier but there placing on the Camera is better, the technical side i will leave to other poeple , in use Tuesday night  attached straight to the back of the C11 nothing between the Sensor and the secondary mirror, Lodestar for guiding into a finder scope PHD had a nice level graph, timing set to 2s, Messier 3 from my location is a little North of East at 45 degrees (roughly) 8 Subs 180s @ ISO 1600 (DSS shows these as 2 minute) the timings show 3 minutes which is what the intervalometer was set at

use a Mains PSU for the Camera (Amazon - DiGiGiBaBa ) so stacked in DSS twiddle the BGR sliders to line them up, put the TIFF in to PS and moved the black level over a bit then saved as a JPEG, Anybody have any thoughts on just the image i think a IR Filter might help, but imagine i don't do (yet) .....This is as it comes out, no cropping...

m3-600D-120-600a.jpg

That's a promising start. I don't think your focus is optimal, yet. How did you do it? If you're not running through a PC you'll need a Bahtinov, I reckon. Using the small camera screen doesn't give you as much information as you need to perfect focus, I wouldn't say. It really is critical.

Olly

I'd agree with that. it looks like a promising start, but focus is one of those things that has to be as perfect as possible. You can correct a lot of things in software after the event. Focus is one of those things that you can't.

A Bahtinov mask and the freeware Bahtinov Grabber is a great combination.

That's a promising start. I don't think your focus is optimal, yet. How did you do it? If you're not running through a PC you'll need a Bahtinov, I reckon. Using the small camera screen doesn't give you as much information as you need to perfect focus, I wouldn't say. It really is critical.

Olly

I do have a Bahtinov, but as the 600D was a new toy with the swivel LCD i had to have a play, it does have a 10x zoom so gets close, i'm think using the mask and IR Filter next time its clear, play about with the timings maybe a bit shorter with bright DSO's a bit longer with the dim stuff, but advice will be taken on-board.......

I'd agree with that. it looks like a promising start, but focus is one of those things that has to be as perfect as possible. You can correct a lot of things in software after the event. Focus is one of those things that you can't.

A Bahtinov mask and the freeware Bahtinov Grabber is a great combination.

Not heard of the Bahtinov Grabber will do some googling....

Interesting.  I've used a 600D (unmodded) for about 18 months.  Its great.  Focussing is a doddle with the live view at 10X even on my 9.25 SCT.  I'd be interested how you get on because I've read that 'some' after market modded canons cannot achieve great focus once they are modded no matter what you do!

Interesting.  I've used a 600D (unmodded) for about 18 months.  Its great.  Focussing is a doddle with the live view at 10X even on my 9.25 SCT.  I'd be interested how you get on because I've read that 'some' after market modded canons cannot achieve great focus once they are modded no matter what you do!

It works ok in daylight, getting a break in the cloud will happen Friday and Saturday as i'm out both evening, will post the images on here when it happens....

It works ok in daylight, getting a break in the cloud will happen Friday and Saturday as i'm out both evening, will post the images on here when it happens....

Good news.  We've been cloud bound for ages.

Archived