Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Webcam mods for Polar Alignment

Is anybody aware of webcams that can be modified to the NEQ6 polar scope?

After watching Astronomysheds video on slightly modifying the SPC900nc with a bit of pipe so it slips over the polar scope, i fancy doing the same. You can then align from the laptop without having to get down on your knees. I'm guessing it will also be more accurate as the reticule wont appear to move around depending on where your eye is -

I cant find the webcam for sale anywhere apart from Ebay which i dont have access to. Has anyone else carried out a similar mod on another webcam which has been successful?

Cheers

I did think about this idea but it is flawed you have to jiggle the position of the laptop so you can it see while crouching down to adjust the RA/DEC bolts, i found a Right angled camera viewfinder held against the polarscope much easier.

Alan

I use this:

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/index.php?/topic/5751-Right-angle-polar-scope-viewer/page__view__findpost__p__64867

I experimented with a webcam, but the camera turns with the polar scope as you rotate the RA axis. So unless you use the setting circles, or remove and then reattach every time you make an adjustment, it doesn't make it much easier.

I use the setting circles in the azeq6, and hour angle of poalris, then just look up the polar scope to centre polaris into the small circle. The right angled eye puece is sufficient for that, and i think the webcam would be overkill unless you physically can't look through the right angled eye piece.

Jd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have an iPhone you could try PolarAlign instead of a webcam. I've made a free adapter from an old eyepiece holder and a sheet of plastic which clips over the polarscope and uses the iPhone camera which overlays Polaris position on the reticle correctly oriented for the current time. Works for me!

Archived