NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focuser slop - any tips?

I had a similar problem on a Skywatcher 200mm Newt. I managed to get rit of most of the slop by i) re-greasing the focuser, ii) carefully adjusting the 2 grub screws on top of the focuser in combination with iii) carefully adjusting the tension on the 4 screws underneath the focuser. It's not perfect but the slop is not noticable now unless you really look for it and the focus action is reasonably smooth. It's not as good as a Moonlight Crayford of course .... :D

John

i always fine a cheap eyepiece in a good focuser is better than a good eyepiece a cheap focuser :D i would upgrade the focuser first. orion

Yep... nail & head there!. Put you money into a replacement focuser (skywatcher/Anatres/Moonlight) and never look back

The guys are right. Although you can manage some sort of remedial surgery, in the end, the only option is a better focuser.

I bit the bullet and changed the Rack and Pinion focuser for a Crayford on my Newtonian. There is simply no comparison.

Geoff

Archived