Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone's mount power cable fuse blown?

jonathan

The fuse blew in my SkyTron cable recently, most annoying and had me scratching my head a bit for a few minutes, fuses don't generally blow for no reason but apparently this one did.  I looked on eBay for a replacement and it was the usual story - plenty of sellers based in Asia offering electronic components in quantities from 1 to A LOT, so as the price for A LOT was not much different to 1 I opted for the former.  Just wanted to say that if anyone's power cable blows a fuse, I'll happily post one out to you as I now have more than I will ever need!

The fuse in my SkyTron cable (which I currently use to drive my 8SE mount but should be good for almost anything I think) is F3AL 250V, it's the same fuse that I think is in many of the auto accessory / cigar lighter type plugs, 5 x 20mm glass fuse, fast-blow, 3amp.

I blew the fuse in my cable once on my alt-az goto mount; i'd made an extension to the lead and somehow got a solder bridge at the mount end so it fused and saved the mount luckily. Was a pain to find a replacement fuse i recall, but found one eventually.

Jd

Every time you load a fuse, it will heat up and sag a miniscule amount.  Over many cycles it may eventually fail.  It also depends on the manufactured quality of the fuse itself.  If there's no obvious cause then  I wouldn't worry about it. 

Archived