Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Powertank

'Better' option might be a deep-cycle leisure battery with an accessory socket wired up to it. Having said that, if all you are powering is the scope then a small power tank would do the job and last all night. However, adding extras like cameras, anti-dew heater straps, maybe a laptop computer all add to the power requirement and it's here the larger leisure battery (80-100Ah) comes into its own. I have to say the small power tank is a lot easier to move about because it's lighter. Mine is a 34Ah power tank and that has powered the scope plus dew heaters for my longerst sessions (about 8hrs).

ChrisH

I would definitely go with a leisure battery, they usually state for use with caravans and camping equipment (e.g.12v fridges and stoves).  A 60Ah one is relatively small for a leisure battery and should do you fine for several nights (always charge at the earliest opportunity), they do get rather heavy after that but should come with a handle so not impossible to get hold of.  Avoid the 'Emergency Car Starter' or even Celestron Power Tank types as they are the wrong sort of battery for this application, which is a shame as the rest of the Power Tank design is quite good - some people replace the internal battery with something better that is designed for deep cycle use, but for me by the time you've paid for a Power Tank you could have bought a much bigger capacity leisure battery.  Expect to pay about £50 or more for a decent leisure battery, buy a pair of battery clips with accessory / cigar lighter socket and away you go.

I have a battery from my golf trolley, would this be ok.

That would be a Gel cell, not ideal but it will work OK. Thing to remember with this type of battery is not to run it flat or it will start to sulphate inside, also, for best longevity then immediately charge it after use and keep it that way. They are designed to dump a lot of current over a short period compared to deep-cycle which are optimised for lower current over extended periods, but other than that the chemistry is the same - just the thinness of the lead plates and the number of them inside the case is different. The Gel electrolyte (or glass absorbant mat) just stops acid leaking out. Bottom line - just use it.

ChrisH

If your using the scope in your back garden, then go for a 13.8v PSU, just keep the PSU inside your house or a shed and run a low voltage lead outside any length will show very little voltage drop and the mount will track so much better......

FLO or Maplin sell these 

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power/maplins-xm21x-7a-138v-regulated-mains-power-supply.html

Archived