SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I must hold the record for seeing the Great Red Spot

Not in a good way, but I've been observing in one form or another for over 30 years, but last night was the first time I've ever been able to think 'yes, that's definitely the Great Red Spot....well probably definitely anyway'. 

I wonder if anyone's ever taken longer to see it? I think, perhaps, I've always been looking for something unmistakeable, whereas last night, through my lovely new C6-SCT, it was still very subtle and only visible in those fleetingly clear moments. 

Not in a good way, but I've been observing in one form or another for over 30 years, but last night was the first time I've ever been able to think 'yes, that's definitely the Great Red Spot....well probably definitely anyway'. 

I wonder if anyone's ever taken longer to see it? I think, perhaps, I've always been looking for something unmistakeable, whereas last night, through my lovely new C6-SCT, it was still very subtle and only visible in those fleetingly clear moments. 

30 years wow, you must of seen so much in that time. my scope is being delivered today, all being well with it and a clear evening, it will be my first night of hopefully many ore.

Took me a year to get Cassini on Saturn with a 130 Heritage, one of those "wow" moments.

Also took a year to see anything other than fuzz out of my Lightbridge. This being a Friday one, spider on backwards, vanes bent to get collimation and a centre spot thrown somewhere near the centre for luck!

Moments of clarity are great !

Nick.

30 years wow, you must of seen so much in that time.

You'd have thought so, but factor in the fact I'm a cretin and perhaps less than I should have done.

I've never really been that into the planets other than quick glances before moving onto something else. Last night was probably the first time I properly stopped and "observed" rather than just looking. No doubt having a tracking equatorial helped and the additional focal length of my C6. Happy days.

Archived