Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

detached prom? 9.03.14

Pete Presland

spotted this what i think is an almost completely detached prom while scanning around the disk with my PST.I was surprised to see it a considerable distance from the solar disc, some thing i would not have looked for if not for the guys on the Lunt stand at astrofest. it almost looked like a sungrazing comet inbound.

post-5271-0-27082200-1394730728_thumb.pnpost-5271-0-87177600-1394730745_thumb.pn

taken with the DMK21 and PST 2nd image is with a x2 Televue barlow, 1500 frames stacked around 600-700. still not happy with the false colour though!

Good catch and image, Pete :laugh:  I saw one a bit like this the other week, I loved seeing it holding its own so far from the disc. The funny thing is that a big prom came and went completely and the little fella was still hanging around for a while!

Very nice Pete.  If you look in your first picture closely, you can see some of the prom extending back towards the sun but it is not as bright.  Eventually they detach completely, fly off in to space and fade quite quickly, so you were probably lucky to capture this one just as it went.

Robin

Very nice Pete.  If you look in your first picture closely, you can see some of the prom extending back towards the sun but it is not as bright.  Eventually they detach completely, fly off in to space and fade quite quickly, so you were probably lucky to capture this one just as it went.

Robin

thats right, that became more obvious when i processed it. i will be looking more carefully know when i image our nearest star next time.

Archived