Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moonlight

Am I mistaken or does the moonlight interfere with viewing, being too bright? Really struggled to see anything. Did however try to broaden my knowledge of the constellations and individual stars. All I can see of Jupiter is a slight orange glow around a bright star. Not that disappointed though apart from being very bright, the moon is stunning, possibly the most beautiful object in the sky. Could look at it for hours.

Am I mistaken or does the moonlight interfere with viewing, being too bright? Really struggled to see anything. Did however try to broaden my knowledge of the constellations and individual stars. All I can see of Jupiter is a slight orange glow around a bright star. Not that disappointed though apart from being very bright, the moon is stunning, possibly the most beautiful object in the sky. Could look at it for hours.

Yes, so it is a good time to take up Lunar observing/imaging :)

Imaging would be a good idea. But only just got into Astronomy seriously the past few months and I dont think her indoors would go for a camera for shooting at the sky. Unless I can get an adapter for the DSLR.

You can buy an adapter for the DSLR, they are quite cheap.

This is what I took with my DSLR tonight with a 2x Barlows, required otherwise I can't focus.

Moon 20140311

Or you could buy a cheap webcam, this is with my xBox webcam I bought new delivered for under £5.

Lunar 11 03 2014 20 01 00

Lunar imaging can be quite cheap and not too difficult.

Hi,

I just joined. So a couple nights I went out to look at the moon with this little 60mm Celestron. I had no trouble finding the moon in the spotter scope and then focusing through the eye piece.I did the same tonight but was unable to see the moon. Any ideas what I am doing wrong. I have an EQ mount which is not too good. it is a much older one. Any advice would be helpful. Keeping my fingers crossed for another clear night tomorrow so i can try again.

I am hoping to get a new scope soon. will toss this crappy mount but keep the scope. I was able to see some stars tonight. It was very light polluted because I didn't have the opportuntiy to drive away to no light pollution.

Thank you

Cathy

Hi Cathy

With the moon so easy to find without a spotted scope, it's a good idea to check the spotter scope when you get the moon in the EP.

The stars would not show up very much from a dark site at the moment with a near on full moon. Best to leave it for now and concentrate on the bright objects like the moon and Jupiter.

See if you can also spot some of the other bright objects too.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

Certainly it can be thought of as 2 things.  The bane of your life or an opportunity to regularly view the most detailed object in the sky.  Its worth noting that each phase offers new highlights and the waning moons terminator glints different parts of the lunar surface when compared to the waxing phases.  Even a full moon with no terminator at all offers opportunity to observe differences in composition rather than the topography.  There are also mountain ranges on the limb to spot too.  There is a lifetime of observing and learning for the moon alone. 

When its not there all the other objects are screaming out to have their light gathered and the hunt for distant worlds is on... until the bane of your life or the opportunity to get lost in the powder mountains is back again.  

It seems we all must learn to embrace the moon or our hobby time is sliced to pieces.

I was out the night before last and after struggling to see my targets I turned my scope onto the moon for the first time in ages and it was stunning. I can't think of any other object in the sky that comes close in terms of visual impact and I resolved to start getting out my moon atlas and become a proper lunar observer. As you say jabeoo1 there is so much to see and different virtually every night.

I've had a couple of good sessions over the last few days despite the moon. Jupiter is always worth spending time, with the double transit and that beautiful triangular arrangement of moons on Tuesday. I like to try a few splits like Mizar, Polaris etc. I found the three clusters in Auriga (first time with the 200p) and the Trapezium in the Orion neb was very clear (must try for E and F next time).

I finish off with the moon (with a filter) up to 400x, which is stunning, and always leaves me feeling good about the session.

So, all in all, even with a bright moon there's plenty to see, even if you don't add to your Messier list!!

Jason, I am brand new to observing (8 days in) but stumbled across the triangular moon arrangement around Jupiter on Tuesday, and I am pretty sure I saw part of a moon transit - although the seeing wasn't great for me that night. Those are the sorts of things that keep you going I think.

And yes the moon was "in the way" for other stuff, but so bright in my 8" Dob, it just has to be looked at again and again! And I even managed a half-decent picture on my mobile phone of all things, so it is possible to get some shots of the moon with just about anything!

Archived