NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY5 for planetary?

Has anybody tried using the QHY5 1 Mono for planetary imaging? Does it work? Are there any inherrant problems using it? Would like to try myself but wondered if anybody had tried it?

No inherent problems - it's definitely do-able. I find the camera a tad noisy. Using it as a guide cam atm.

I'd agree with this.  It's a little on the noisy side though that might work out in the stacking.  I can't see any fundamental reason that it wouldn't work though.

James

Its got a rolling shutter so you might get artefacts when using fast frame rates. The results that I've seen (and I've not seen that many) are variable. Some peeps get decent enough shots, others (like mine) are plagued by lines and noise.
If you already have the camera then give it a bash. What's there to lose?

Do you mean the old QHY5? I have one which I use for guiding, but I have managed a bit of planetary imaging with it (see my old thread here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/133786-qhy5-surprising-jupiter-and-venus-images/?hl=%2Bsurprising+%2Bjupiter+%2Band+%2Bvenus#entry1335696). Not exhibition quality, but worth a go. Probably quite good for lunar imaging.

Archived