Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSS

just installed 3.3.4 and loaded up the same Raws I did before and it detected no stars
but if I load tif files from the raws it finds 15 stars, if I check an image it comes up black until I move the B / W adjuster to the mid point
then I can see my image

I even set the WB to auto which took out a lot of the orange glow, this setting is recommended for modded camera's but still no star detection

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just installed 3.3.4 and loaded up the same Raws I did before and it detected no stars

but if I load tif files from the raws it finds 15 stars, if I check an image it comes up black until I move the B / W adjuster to the mid point

then I can see my image

I even set the WB to auto which took out a lot of the orange glow, this setting is recommended for modded camera's but still no star detection

Hi

Was that even with the star detection threshold reduced to, say, 2%? It's possible to stack in jpg though that's deprecated by serious AP's. Out of curiosity, I just had a go at stacking some of my jpgs of M56 (I save RAW + jpg) and it came out quite well considering. Of course, a lot of the dynamic range is lost but it was a quick and dirty way of doing it :)

Louise

yes star detection at 2%, and it finds no stars with the raw format, Tif works Ok but huge files
I'd rather not drop to Jpeg as my capture quality is already low, so for now I'll stick to Tif till I find a way to get the raws to work
it may be just very bad quality of files in raw format that it doesn't like, once the cloud clears (not looking good this week) I'll run a lot more tests
to see what works best

yes star detection at 2%, and it finds no stars with the raw format, Tif works Ok but huge files

I'd rather not drop to Jpeg as my capture quality is already low, so for now I'll stick to Tif till I find a way to get the raws to work

it may be just very bad quality of files in raw format that it doesn't like, once the cloud clears (not looking good this week) I'll run a lot more tests

to see what works best

Hi

That's rather indicating that your exposures are simply too short.... When the Glasgow weather clears do try and do some 30, 60, 120s exposures. Ignore the appearance of the lp - lots of data will still be there! It's counterintuitive, I know, but there you go. The only reason for suggesting stacking jpegs was to be able to quickly see what you have (I'm assuming that you save RAW + jpg from your camera?)

This is 8 x 120s subs of M56 stacked using jpgs and with no darks or flats - it's reduced to 25% of original size with some adjustments in DSS, PS CS2, saved as .png and then as jpg:

post-33532-0-03906400-1394895932_thumb.j

Louise

I do plan on doing some long exposures to see how far I can push it
I'm not too worried about star trailing etc to start with, I'll sort that out after I get the camera sorted out
and hopefully I'll have a clip filter soon to help deal with the LP and extend my exposure times

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry to drag this up again but i am still no further forward with this. I am trying to stack 10lights and 10 darks, it detects all the start goes through the whole stacking process and then nothing at the end. Anyone help me out there?

Is there another program that is worthwhile ?

post-34436-0-12867800-1396894110_thumb.j

Hi Geuse

Not sure what the pic you posted was supposed to show? Can you upload a couple of the subs you tried to stack?

Not sure what you mean by nothing at the end? Um, I take it you have 'checked' all the lights? Is DSS going through the stacking procedure after registering the subs.

Louise

Hi Louise,

It registers all the pictures and runs through the whole stacking process and then right at the bit when you should have your picture.....nothing just a grey screen.

Here are some of the subs..

post-34436-0-59444600-1396895328_thumb.j

post-34436-0-75418400-1396895340_thumb.j

post-34436-0-89291800-1396895350_thumb.j

Well I quickly stacked the 3 jpegs ok... :

post-33532-0-43762600-1396896430_thumb.j

You could try stacking just 3 lights without darks, just to keep it simple. It should tell you how many of the registered lights it's stacking. I often register the pics then do the stacking as a separate operation (in the register settings uncheck the box that says stack after registering). Um,thinking about it - you don't have the box unchecked already, do you? I that case it will register the images but not stack them until you tell it to...

Louise

Hey, i just tried that and it said it was stacking 3 images but again it goes through the whole process and there is no image!!! This is so frustrating. What is annoying is i used it previously with some widefield images i done and it stacked them no problem, i cant for the life of me figure out why its not stacking now..

What is DSS Live ?

Hey, i just tried that and it said it was stacking 3 images but again it goes through the whole process and there is no image!!! This is so frustrating. What is annoying is i used it previously with some widefield images i done and it stacked them no problem, i cant for the life of me figure out why its not stacking now..

What is DSS Live ?

It's software that stacks images as you capture them: http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/live.htm

I've never tried it.

If there's no image then maybe it's not stacking them!

Can you snip an image of the dss window with the files?

Here are snips of the register screen and output screen I just did:

post-33532-0-57024200-1396899045_thumb.j

post-33532-0-83923200-1396899069_thumb.j

As you can see, the output screen has the default autosave.fts filename at the top. DSS saves in TIF or FITS. This is user selectable.

You could try lowering the star detection threshold but in any case it should produce an output file.

I have absolutely no idea why but i just falled a Doug German tutorial on youtube and it has worked !!! 

I genuinely dont think i done anything different but hey ho !!

Louise....again, thank you so much for your help. It people like you on this forum that has made me taking images at all possible.

I have absolutely no idea why but i just falled a Doug German tutorial on youtube and it has worked !!! 

I genuinely dont think i done anything different but hey ho !!

Louise....again, thank you so much for your help. It people like you on this forum that has made me taking images at all possible.

Glad you got it working! :)

Archived