NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

celestron X-Cel Barlow - 2x or 3x

Hi all - am looking at a barlow to go with my Skywatcher Skyliner 200p which should be arriving tomorrow as i hope that will give me some variety in terms of Eps and magnification while I save up for some nice eyepieces, depending how I get on with the supplied EPs.

I was looking at the Revelation Astro 2.5x Barlow and was checking with FLO as to price (they are awaiting a delivery) and the helpful chap also mentioned the slightly cheaper Skywatcher Barlow and the Celestron X-Cel Barlow. This is a bit more expensive, but clearly (from reading reviews and posts on here) a nice Barlow for the price. It is a little over my budget, but I am sure morecost-effective than buying a cheaper model that needs upgrading sooner.

The question is, the 2x and 3x are the same price - is it better to go with the higher magnification becuase of this, or is there a specific reason why I should stick with 2x?

I am slowly getting better at understanding EP selection as well, but appreciate any help.

Thanks

Mark

The Skywatcher is around £30

The Revelation around £32

Celestron is £69 on FLO (which seems like a good price compared to other sources)

Some barlows allow you to unscrew the lens element and fit directly onto the lens, this gives you a range of focal lengths. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-classic-q-225x-barlow.html

It might be a more flexible solution until you can start buying a few eyepieces ? I think I would leave the barlow for now and put the money towards new eyepieces.  :smiley:

Hi Mark, it is better to go for the 2x for visual astronomy, anything higher will often give you too much magnification and anyway 3x and higher (up to 5x) is really only useful in astrophotography.

Hi Mark, I have the Rev 2.5x Barlow and very good it is too. I have read somewhere (on this forum I think?) that someone had measured it as giving closer to 2x but thats not much of an issue. On an impulse,  (mistake) I bought an Antares 3x barlow which is not as good as the Reveltion (GSO) but is OK - but I simply never use it. I'd stick to a 2x or 2.5.

Thanks guys. Laurie - I did look at that option as well......there are just too many things to chose from - very confusing for a newby, trying to balance quality and price! I was leaning to the 2x because discussions on this forum suggest that x200 is about the limit for the 8 inch dob, but numbers can be very attractive! :grin:

Part of me wants to spend a bit more so that it compliments better eyepieces as they come along, so the 2x Celestron may be the way to go? Aaaaarghgh!!!! :grin:

Shall put my thinking cap on, but thanks for the opinions, much appreciated!

Archived