Can it be?

Stu

.... Well I've agreed with Mrs Maksutov that I will be observing tonight, and she is happy with that. Normally when I do that it is cloudy!

Scope nights says:

7u3u6ydu.jpg

BBC says:

4ymysy7u.jpg

But Sat24 looks like this:

hedesa2e.jpg

I guess it depends where that lump of cloud down to the west ends up, but hopefully I'll at least get some clear spells coming through.

First time for a while that a free night has coincided with potentially clear skies. Got something rather nice to test out so will update on another thread if I get lucky.

Cheers,

Stu

Good luck for tonight Stu!!!

Me myself I no longer have any concerns what the weather is doing as it could be as clear as glass and I still have a torrent of steam blowing out the neighbours boiler flue 8ft away and if that isn't turning my views in to mush and chocking me with gas fumes I can guarantee the adjacent 1KW stadium light on the rear of another neighbours house will reduce my pupils to pin heads.

Well I have to say, 'Yes it can!'

Despite some patchy cloud coming through, it cleared beautifully and I was out til around 1am. Got some very nice observing in with my new toy, a Vixen Atlux 150ED......lovely :-)

Stu

I had a cracking night here Stu, it was clear from early evening all the way through to my bedtime   :laugh:  The termination on the Moon was also excellent early on.

I was quite surprised given how grey and patchy the daytime was.

I had a cracking night here Stu, it was clear from early evening all the way through to my bedtime :laugh: The termination on the Moon was also excellent early on.

I was quite surprised given how grey and patchy the daytime was.

Great stuff Shaun :-)

Yes, having looked at Sat24 I wasn't that hopeful but it turned out very nicely. Seeing was a little variable, as always, but generally it was a really good night here too.

Stu

How was the new toy Stu?? and what a very nice toy I might add!!  

Thanks for the heads up on the clear spell Stu BTW

While no where near in the same league as your vixen ed I still cannot help but be overwhelmed at the views I get from my 127L. The seeing was not particularly good where I was yet the Bresser easily split the trapezium Cluster in to 6 stars. This is something that seems to elude my newts on most occasions. I can only imagine how amazing the views must have been for you last night looking through 6" of high grade optics :Envy:

How was the new toy Stu?? and what a very nice toy I might add!!

Thanks for the heads up on the clear spell Stu BTW

While no where near in the same league as your vixen ed I still cannot help but be overwhelmed at the views I get from my 127L. The seeing was not particularly good where I was yet the Bresser easily split the trapezium Cluster in to 6 stars. This is something that seems to elude my newts on most occasions. I can only imagine how amazing the views must have been for you last night looking through 6" of high grade optics :Envy:

It's really very nice indeed Nick :-)

The contrast and star shapes are wonderful and it's essentially colour free so I'm very pleased.

You did better than me on the Trapezium last night then! Only E was visible but it was low over houses by the time I checked it out. I'm quite sure the scope is capable of showing F as well. Might just have to play around with different magnifications a little more.

I enjoyed using my orthos last night too, doubles looked really crisp with them. There is a cracking pair near M81, one easy, and other quite tight at 2.2" but even this one split beautifully last night. Being high up would have helped too.

9ydupy2a.jpg

Optics were nicely dewed up by the end but it didn't seem to spoil the view too much!

Stu

I will be sure to give the double near M81 a go next time Stu.

If it helps any I found x85 with an exit pupil of 1.5mm was giving me the most pleasing view on the trapezium Cluster. Upping the mag to x109 still split them in to 6 but not with the frequency of the lower magnification. I was under the impression you had to go all out on the mag to split doubles but it would appear that as with planets that often less can amount to more.

I will be sure to give the double near M81 a go next time Stu.

If it helps any I found x85 with an exit pupil of 1.5mm was giving me the most pleasing view on the trapezium Cluster. Upping the mag to x109 still split them in to 6 but not with the frequency of the lower magnification. I was under the impression you had to go all out on the mag to split doubles but it would appear that as with planets that often less can amount to more.

That definitely seems to be the case Nick. I've not experimented enough with it but I know from reading reports that, as you say, it is about the right magnification, not the highest.

Stu

That's ok Barry Barry, it has a certain ring to it I think ;-)

The app is called Luminos on iOS. I use it to input all my kit and can easily see magnifications, exit pupil and field of view. Very handy.

Cheers,

Stu

You will have to let me know how you get on with the 15mm Stu. I'm sure had the seeing been a little better I could have upped the mag but given that the split was so obvious at x85 better seeing would just go to improve on the overall experience at the lower magnification. 

Archived