Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

who out there has an 12"revelation?

A few questions I hear it is unforgiving when it comes to collimation.why?

Also the guys at telescope house said that collimation would be a once in a while thing but i have read it is best to do it every time you use it.

I dont (and can not dream of having a 12" scope). The larger the mirror aperture, the more often it needs collimation. A scope of about 5-6 inch would not need to be done very often. Larger scopes might need it every time you use it. It all depends how far you transport it and how roughly you treat it. Ive had a 5" Heritage Dob for 4 yrs now and only ever collimated it once (because i wanted to learn the process). I only move it about 50ft from where i store it.

When I had a 12 " once the secondary is set that should be fine for a while unless you going to travel about with it,but the primary mirror should be checked when used I do it as part of my set up every time and once you get the hang it's always good to,check do not let colaminating it put you off,be a good scope and really give you great dso views

I can not comment on the said scope quality wise because for the price it's a bargain

Pat

Greetings

I have the SW300PDS and have done the collimation 6 times in 2 years first time was when it arrived from the shop the second time was to demonstrate the method to friends who have scopes but never dared try it the other times was after bumps during moving between the garden and the room where it's kept. Soon it will be on it's pier in the new obsy and it will be set one more time after that it wont be moved from this position so wont need to be done again unless we have a party in the obsy with lots of beer and dancing girls when it might get bumped..

It should only need to be done if there is a good reason.

Andy

Greetings

I have the SW300PDS and have done the collimation 6 times in 2 years first time was when it arrived from the shop the second time was to demonstrate the method to friends who have scopes but never dared try it the other times was after bumps during moving between the garden and the room where it's kept. Soon it will be on it's pier in the new obsy and it will be set one more time after that it wont be moved from this position so wont need to be done again unless we have a party in the obsy with lots of beer and dancing girls when it might get bumped..

It should only need to be done if there is a good reason.

Andy

Just because it's on a pier the odd angles can knock it out of colamination a friends 200pds does any way how's the build going did you get the slabs down .

Pat

I don't think tweaking the collimation of a scope should be seen as any more of an issue than adjusting the tuning of a guitar before playing it.

The Revelation 12" dobs should technically be no more demanding than any other 12" F/5 newtonians although the manufacturer has not helped things in the past by fitting springs to the collimation bolts that are on the weak side. Upgrading these springs is a common modification for these scopes although perhaps the latest versions have addressed this ?

The collimation part almost put me off but I bought it anyway about 5 weeks ago. I don't have to move it far about 25 ft. Next question.

When I look through the Cheshire eyepiece the dot on the mirror is not bang in the middle of the crosshairs it is only very slightly off. How important is it to be bang on?

O the rain might stop play but it will be well worth it are you have in a obsy party to celebrate when it's done if so,give us a shout any excuse for a view and a brew

Pat

Greetings

Yes m8 will give you a shout when the roof slides open for the first time in action.

Andy

Archived