NEQ6 speed up centering... How?

kirkster501

Hey guys, I normally use my PC to control the mount but for visual use I have started to use the Skywatcher Handset.  The mount is superb but there is one niggly annoyance that I am sure is down to me not knowing what I am doing.

I "home" the mount when I start off to get its reference and then select two-star align.  I then pick my first star, say Sirius, and off she goes.  It gets it surprisingly near, I  must say, but it it out somewhat.  However, how can I speed up the rate the mount moves on the "centering" when you align the star precisely in the middle of the EP view?  It is ssssooooooooo slow and takes ages!  I have adjusted the "rate" away from the default of two up to five, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong please?

Rgds, Steve

Thanks. Well I pressed the rate button when I was set up last night and nothing happened.  I need to press rate and a number at the same time? I will take a look at that all the same.  What Firmware are you on please mate?

Steve

Hey guys, I normally use my PC to control the mount but for visual use I have started to use the Skywatcher Handset.  The mount is superb but there is one niggly annoyance that I am sure is down to me not knowing what I am doing.

I "home" the mount when I start off to get its reference and then select two-star align.  I then pick my first star, say Sirius, and off she goes.  It gets it surprisingly near, I  must say, but it it out somewhat.  However, how can I speed up the rate the mount moves on the "centering" when you align the star precisely in the middle of the EP view?  It is ssssooooooooo slow and takes ages!  I have adjusted the "rate" away from the default of two up to five, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong please?

Rgds, Steve

You need to press rate and then 9 if you want to move fast.......

Thanks. Well I pressed the rate button when I was set up last night and nothing happened.  I need to press rate and a number at the same time? I will take a look at that all the same.  What Firmware are you on please mate?

Steve

Sorry - I am on version 3.35

9 will be far too fast , try 5 to start with or you'll be flying past before you know it ...  :grin:

I use 9 with no problem. All depends on definition of fast I guess. :grin:

The OP said 5 DIDN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE

True , but then the mount loses track of it's "Home" position , not a problem to some but complicates things if you have a semi-permanent or permanent set-up and like to keep things set and ready for the next session ...  :smiley:

True , but then the mount loses track of it's "Home" position , not a problem to some but complicates things if you have a semi-permanent or permanent set-up and like to keep things set and ready for the next session ...  :smiley:

I not sure that I agree with this - in my experience, doing this gives you an even better 'home position' for your permanent installation after you 'Park' at the end of your session. In essence, undoing the clutches and physically pushing and pulling the 'scope into position (on the first alignment star only) is the equivalent of having a 'perfect' start position.

The NEQ6 doesn't have encoders, when the clutches are released and the scope moved the electronics don't know this, it just slews to where it thinks the first star is, moving the scope to this point makes it a better alignment .......

In my experience to start out with I found that the "Home" position after parking was different to the original , by the same amount as the distance to the first Align star.

I found that by having an accurately and consistent "Home" position and very accurately inputted location and more importantly very accurately inputted time details that the initial Align star is always in view on the chip of the 1000D using the ED80 and centering is a doddle at slow speed.

Well guys, it fixed the problem!  Rate followed by number and problem solved!  Many thanks.  Some nice jupiter views, and Virgo DSO's last night.  Too much cloud dodging to make AP worthwhile setting up.

Its there a shortcut way of getting to the home position on the handset anyone know please?  Need to get that right to get the first slew in the vicinity of the first alignment object.

I may in time delegate the NEQ6 to my visual mount and get something else like a MESU, or something around the £3500 mark,  for the AP setup.

Thanks, Steve

As you not running EQMod, just turn the mount off and move it by hand, the next time you fire it up  slew first star and align by hand, i have the index marks set to zero on both axis they line up when its in the home position , EQMod does have a Defined park position but i found the time it takes to get there and park, then when its fired up it slews to the home position i just don't bother, after a few goes you will park it pretty close to the home position by hand.....all time saving tips..:)

Archived