Iota Leonis

I've not observed this tight pair for quite a while so it was nice to see them again  :smiley:

The primary star is mag 4.1 and the secondary somewhat fainter at mag 6.7. The separation is around 2 arc seconds currently I think and the pair lie around 69 light years from us. 

With my ED120 refractor I found the split challenging but clear at 150x but clearer at 180x and 225x.The 3mm-6mm Nagler zoom eyepiece is ideal for splitting doubles as it's so simple to progressively alter the magnification to find the optimum.

Apart from being a nice double to observe, the interest here is that the fainter star is a G3 type and thought to be similar to our Sun.

I found this nice artists impression by John Lewis dating from 1992 of the pair from an imaginary planet in orbit around them   :smiley:

http://www.astroscenes.co.uk/ascenes12_013.htm

Strange to gaze at that pale little star, tucked in close by it's pale golden and brighter neighbour, and think thats what our Sun would look like from that vast distance away.

Except the Sun has no companion star of course !

I managed some time outside this evening between clouds - yes, it is a nice pair. Well split at x190 with my 5" Mak in moments of clear seeing (10 secs good, 10 secs bad!); I tried as well with my ED80 at x160 which just about showed it to be a double, although at the limit perhaps. I'm sure I've looked at Iota Leonis before (seems familiar), but can't find it in my notes anywhere.....

Caught the GRS just as it slid out of sight, as well - rather better seeing W than SE.

Chris

that's a very nice report john I will give it a shoot in the 6 inch frac and then the 127mm mak..

mike h

I found this nice artists impression by John Lewis dating from 1992 of the pair from an imaginary planet in orbit around them   :smiley:

http://www.astroscenes.co.uk/ascenes12_013.htm

Strange to gaze at that pale little star, tucked in close by it's pale golden and brighter neighbour, and think thats what our Sun would look like from that vast distance away.

Except the Sun has no companion star of course !

Interesting point re the drawing - would a planet orbit the pair of stars, or one of them, much closer in than the drawing implies? Pretty though.

Interesting point re the drawing - would a planet orbit the pair of stars, or one of them, much closer in than the drawing implies? Pretty though.

That is an interesting point. The data I've found on Iota Leonis suggests that the two stars actual separation varies between 21au and 69au which is sort of Neptune / Pluto type distance from our Sun. I guess a Sun-like star at the distance of Neptune would look pretty noticeable in our sky ?

Nice report John,

I will have to have a go at that one although I won't be able to image it, I can only get down to around 6" imaging, but will have to try visually next clear night.

Cheers

Martin

Archived