Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

need advice on a leisure battery/charger & connections

Hi guys im thinking ahead for when i get a CCD and will need a laptop in the field, any one know of any good makes or got any links for a decent leisure battery and charger? ive not got a clue, looked on the bay but ill be better off closing my eyes and picking one :( also does anyone know where to buy connections so i can power my laptop off of it via the 3 pin plug, id also need to power the 12v dew strap (cig lighter adapter) and probably numerous other things when i get guiding, any help and advice at all would be great

all the best

Martin

You would be better off buying a laptop car charger to run the laptop off of the 12v battery. To use the 240v laptop charger you would need a power inverter which are really inefficient. Battery clamps can be bought from any car parts/accessorie suppliers. Car 12v accessorie sockets can also be bought in shops or ebay. Cigarette lighter plugs are individually fused so you will only need say a 20 amp fuse for 4x sockets. I also have a 30 amp relay on mine which is connected to a led switch & volt meter. I have all mine in the bottom of a stanley roll along tool box & use the removable top for storing odds & sods. There are quite a few threads on making a 12v portable power supply on here. Do a search & browse through them for ideas.

thanks buddy, ill get them on the order list :)

what about the connections to go on to the battery tho? can i get adapters to power the laptop from the 3 pin plug and 12v adapters from the battery?

Since you are in Southhampton, consider checking with a Marine Chandlery for quality electrical fittings resistant to corrosion.

You would be better off buying a laptop car charger to run the laptop off of the 12v battery. To use the 240v laptop charger you would need a power inverter which are really inefficient. Battery clamps can be bought from any car parts/accessorie suppliers. Car 12v accessorie sockets can also be bought in shops or ebay. Cigarette lighter plugs are individually fused so you will only need say a 20 amp fuse for 4x sockets. I also have a 30 amp relay on mine which is connected to a led switch & volt meter. I have all mine in the bottom of a stanley roll along tool box & use the removable top for storing odds & sods. There are quite a few threads on making a 12v portable power supply on here. Do a search & browse through them for ideas.

This is what puts me off guiding, a lot of faffing about, using the car to power the laptop is out of the question as at my dark spot its about a 5 min walk from the car park to dark spot so using the car to power the laptop and for it to be connected to the scope is out of the question, i dont know........off to work as im late all ready, catch you all this evening

Archived