Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY power pack

rob0971

Now I am running lots off of my leisure battery, I thought it was time to upgrade my mk 1 power pack as it only had a single 12v socket. Plugging in a 12 v hub was asking for trouble with all the dew & damp at the moment so needed more sockets. The old one had parts nicked from an old jump starter including the on/off switch & voltage meter.

So, looking around at various toolboxes I eventually settled on a roll along Stanley 2 tier type with the intention of using the top half for kit storage. The bottom had the battery fitted onto a plywood base & 4x 12v sockets, meter, switch & a 30 amp relay. The revolving drawer in the base of the top half was removed & a steel copy made with no dividers to store cables.

I am really pleased with how it turned out. IMAG0605_zps520f5096.jpgIMAG0606_zps536a39d9.jpgIMAG0609_zps81ded7d6.jpgIMAG0608_zps5d8a6636.jpg

IMAG0611_zps9e5e9e7f.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really like what you've done there, Rob. Realising that eventually I'll have to become mobile it's been on my mind how to power everything and this seems ideal.

That looks like a 75 Amp/Hour battery...Can you give more information? Is it dry or lead acid? Also, how is the relay utilised? Just to switch the outputs?

Thanks and good job!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Its a 75a/h leisure, deep cycle battery, lead-acid. The relay is just to switch on the sockets & volt meter. The relay is fused for 20a which should be more than enough. I did think of fitting a separate fuse box for the individual sockets, but the cigar lighter plugs are fused so no need.

Cheers

Rob

• 4 months later...

this looks awsome! im looking at getting a lesure battery but have not got a clue what to do or how to do it lol im not the greatest when it comes to things like this :( would you have links to where you got all the bits and bobs from buddy?

all the best

MArtin

this looks awsome! im looking at getting a lesure battery but have not got a clue what to do or how to do it lol im not the greatest when it comes to things like this :( would you have links to where you got all the bits and bobs from buddy?

all the best

MArtin

Thanks bud.

Most of the bits can be bought in your local halfrauds. I got the battery, clamps, Stanley toolchest & 30a fused relay from there, but I got trade discount. They can be bought cheaper on the net. The 12v sockets came from. ebay & the meter & led switch came from an old booster pack. You can find them on ebay also. The crimps & wiring came from work. Total cost to me was around 120 quid. A bit more expensive but a better soloution than the overpriced 17ah celestron or skywatcher power tanks. You can also tailor it to your requirements with built in charger or maybe USB hub.

That's a really good idea. I currently just have a 65ah leisure battery that I use to power everything in my mobile setup. Would be good to use this setup, as it would also give a sort of table for the laptop, and keep everything neat. I've actually got a tool box like that already - may have to be reprovisioned...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rob, I really like this and was looking at doing something along these lines myself. Something that was concerning me though was the electrical circuit. I'd sort of come up with a layout myself but your's is a much more suitable solution. Does the relay switching circuit need an in-line load or does the relay provide that? Would you be able to post a circuit diagram? Cheers!

Dave

Hi Rob, I really like this and was looking at doing something along these lines myself. Something that was concerning me though was the electrical circuit. I'd sort of come up with a layout myself but your's is a much more suitable solution. Does the relay switching circuit need an in-line load or does the relay provide that? Would you be able to post a circuit diagram? Cheers!

Dave

Not quite sure what you mean about it needing a load. Basically the relay has a switched input to the coil which in turn switches on the sockets, passing through the voltmeter first.

The control side of the relay goes from + to switch, then out of switch to terminal 86 on the relay. Then from terminal 85 to the - on the battery.

The switched side of the relay goes from + to terminal 30. then from terminal 87 to voltmeter to positive terminal on sockets (looped). The - side of the sockets are looped together then back to the - on the battery. Mine has a fuse in the relay, but if yours does not, you will need to put a fuse inline between + on battery & terminal 30 on the relay.

Hope that helps, if not I will do a diagram later.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob, that's great thanks.

By load I meant an in-line resistor. I guess that as you haven't put one in the control side of the relay provides its own load so preventing a short circuit when you close the switch. As far as I'm concerned I'm good with the circuit now - I don't know if anyone else would like the diagram though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I've started ordering my bits. The price of the 12V sockets surprised me - the cheapest I found was nearly £24 for the four. Buying everything new I'm looking at £150 + the charger, though I did go for a waterproof red illuminated digital voltmeter which was completely unnecessary and wasn't cheap either and a waterproof switch. I did find though that Amazon have the toolbox for £27 inc. delivery through Amazon Prime.

whats the cost of doing this?

Hi Daniel,

As I said in my post just before your's, I've just spent nearly £150 on parts.

I have up-spec'd the battery to a 110Ah (Lucas LL26MF) at £66.45 inc. del. off eBay. At a glance I see Rob's 75Ah Numax can be had for ~£57 delivered, possibly less with some digging around. I also went OTT on the voltmeter. I could have got a similar one to Rob's for less than a fiver and in the end I spent £17. Taking all that into account ~£130 (+ the charger) would be reasonable.

I've still got to order the cable and spade connectors which I expect will be another £5-£10.

HTH,

Dave

I plumped for a Ring Smartcharge+ 8 as I found one for £50 delivered. I couldn't find an equivalent Ctek for less that £70. AutoExpresd reviews say the Ctek is better but I didn't read it as 40% better.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Archived