NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

supernova hunt!

Ags

I know it's past its best, but tonight I finally had an opportunity to look for the SN in M82. I aligned on Polaris and Dubhe, and after taking a moment to admire the faint companion of Polaris, I slewed to M82. Of course the goto didn't find it, but after a little panning about with my 24mm hyperion, a blotchy cigar shaped thing drifted into view.

The blotchiness was more apparent and contrast a bit better with my hyperion 11mm (17mm + 24mm fine tuning ring). I don't like dissecting my hyperions in the dark, but I adjusted it to 13mm (100x) and that gave the best view.

Careful inspection of the galaxy showed one slightly fuzzy point of light away from the center of the galaxy visible easily with averted vision. I noted it formed a slightly crooked line with two bright stars in the field that form an obtuse angle with the galaxy. I could not see any other star-like points in M82. I can't recall seeing anything star-like in the galaxy previously, although I have observed more structure in M82 on other nights.

I then slewed to M81, but I could only make out a bright core and a bit of peripheral haze. I did note the disappointing observing conditions: the sky was cloudless but had a whitish blue tinge, and overall it was bright enough for color vision. Two streetlights and a so-called security light were intruding too.

I went in and checked the SN photos - to my delight, the supernova location matches my observation! My first supernova :-))

Yes, I'm surprised and pleased I could spot it in my Mak, although it was just about at the limit of what my scope could do. The component stars of M13 are a bit fainter I think and I can get those on a good night. I deliberately didn't note the star patterns before observing to keep my mind from playing tricks on me.

So now I've dipped my toes in variable star observing, although I suppose it's not a star anymore.

Just had a quick look tonight with my 12" dob. It's definitely mag 12 or less now. It's going to be getting challenging for smaller aperture scopes from now on I reckon.

Agreed - I reckoned sub mag 12 too. Had a look tonight with my TAL125 - I could barely make out the SN - right at the limit of vis for me, not great seeing and more LP than usual (I hate security lights and my neighbours have for some reason taken to leaving upstairs lights on and not drawing their curtains....grrr!!).  It was a bit more obvious in my Istar 150mm last night. Managed to see it on Tuesday night too with my 4" f13. Definitely losing brightness over the last week or so.

Just realised - been out three nights in a row!!! Pretty much the first time ever in two years :grin:

It's great to be treated with such a first supernova treat isn't it ?, my first one too so I milked it good an proper :grin: I  think had about 6 views of it, considering the weather I am happy with that, it required some uncivilised early hours getting up though on two occasions to catch it as near zenith as I could  :smiley:  It was all worth it. Who knows, it could be a long time for one that bright that to happen again.

It's great to be treated with such a first supernova treat isn't it ?, my first one too so I milked it good an proper :grin: I  think had about 6 views of it, considering the weather I am happy with that, it required some uncivilised early hours getting up though on two occasions to catch it as near zenith as I could  :smiley:  It was all worth it. Who knows, it could be a long time for one that bright that to happen again.

Definitely  :smiley:

I've observed 7 in all and this one has been the best of those by quite a margin. Must have caused misery for anything living in the neighbourhood 12 million years ago though   :undecided:

Must have caused misery for anything living in the neighbourhood 12 million years ago though   :undecided:

Which makes even more impressive for us when its put like that!

The whole distance/time thing in astronomy never ceases to amaze me. :)

Followed up tonight. The cloudless sky was a milky grey to the naked eye, so not promising. Only one star in Ursa Minor was showing.

I aligned and goto-ed to M82 and it didn't look quite right. The star pattern from the other night was not visible, and despite squinting really hard it looked more roundish than cigar-ish. Eventually I realized that the goto had found M81 for me and a little panning round brought me to M82.

The supernova is definitely much fainter than last week, although I am fairly confident I still spotted it with averted vision. However, if I had to swear to it in court, I think i would falter under cross-examination!  :huh:

On the plus side, the fact that the supernova-candidate was not clearly visible tonight confirms that I spotted the genuine supernova last week!!!!  :grin:

I went on to try finding the Owl Nebula (this time double-checking the goto location with my RDF) but after extensive searches of the area I could not find it - I have yet to see this nebula...

Algeiba and Mizar were satisfying bright doubles, always worth a look. The components of Algeiba were showing clear diffraction rings so I was quite hopeful for the view of Jupiter, although it had drifted above rooftops (the buildings can put out heat columns).

My goto redeemed itself by finding Jupiter - whatever would I do without it? The planet was a fine sight in my TS Planetary HR 9mm: I could see detail in the NEB (perhaps a barge), and some banding in the temperate zones, and there were plenty of background stars to add interest. Tonight was the first time in a while that Jupiter definitively came to focus, on recent nights I have been continuously tweaking the focus but never finding a truly sharp image.

All in all a fun evening. I had almost all my eyepieces out for a change: the 24mm to find things, 17mm adjusted to 13mm for the galaxies, the 6mm TS HR Planetary for the doubles, and the 9mm TS HR for Jupiter. The only EP left on the bench tonight was the Speer Waler 9mm... I have taken to using that for observing Jupiter, but I think I might get a sharper image with the 9mm TS HR Planetary. At least, with the TS tonight the image seemed easier to focus...

I got good views of M81 / M82 tonight could still see the supernova although not as bright as when I first viewed it back in early February   :grin: ,

Jupiter is looking it's best now it seems!, As was the Orion nebular tonight, :smiley: .

Hoping for more clear skies  now spring is almost a pone us  again,  Yeahhhhhhhh! :grin: .

I had some nice views of M82 with my 12" dob tonight and I'd put the magnitude of the supernova around 12.3ish compared to nearby stars. Still nice and clear at 159x as were the dark rifts that cross M82 and some brighter knots in it's structure.

12.3! So that would be the absolute limit for my little Mak - I'm pretty sure it can't see anything fainter than that. I could only find the SN because it has two bright pointer stars.

I to had a good view of the sn tonight with my 16" reflector very bright it stuck out like a sore thumb I thought I was seeing thing the detail in this galaxy was unreal tonight best I have ever seen the sn was great

Pat

12.3! So that would be the absolute limit for my little Mak - I'm pretty sure it can't see anything fainter than that. I could only find the SN because it has two bright pointer stars.

You were doing well to see it with a 102mm scope. I found it with my 120mm refractor last night but it was a bit of a struggle. Waiting until M82 was more or less overhead and using a medium magnification helped.

Archived