ST80 ordered

Just purchased a StarTravel 80 scope with EQ1 table mount.

There were two main reasons for purchasing this scope.

1. I have been after something which can literally pack into a suit case to take away with me, I dont want to have to worry about moving larger tripod/ mounts. 
  2. I want a substantially better star finder after my previous scopes default starfinder was rubbish.

I hope to have this with me by tomorrow so I will let people know what its like.

My thinking was that the RDF might not be great but we never know.

My previous main scope was a 200P Dobsonian and I was making use of the standard starfinder. I could not help but think that maybe the finder fell of the production line at some point as it was rubbish (could never see anything very clear, always gave a very blurred edge).

I know for a fact this scope as a star finder will be a BIG step up.

I found that my ST80 is OK as far as it goes, but left me wanting when it came to DSOs, particularly many globular clusters which are just small grey smudges.  Pretty decent on the moon when it's not too bright and the double star near Vega I think it was (the one with blue and orange stars), as examples of what this scope is good at.  Open clusters are good too, but some not as sharp as in a higher quality scope.

My thinking was that the RDF might not be great but we never know.

My previous main scope was a 200P Dobsonian and I was making use of the standard starfinder. I could not help but think that maybe the finder fell of the production line at some point as it was rubbish (could never see anything very clear, always gave a very blurred edge).

I know for a fact this scope as a star finder will be a BIG step up.

Did you know that you need to focus it?  You can twist the bit at the front to focus, it should turn easily, don't force it.  Others, like myself, have replaced this finder with a RACI (right-angled, correct image) finder, which is much better, you don't have to contort yourself to look through it!

Well the skies are clearing and I would have loved to have shared with you my thoughts of the ST80 but sadly the item never arrived though I paid for next day delivery expecting the clear skies tonight. Oh well, guess I will have to wait until tomorrow.

@ dick_dangerous what tripod do you use with your one please?

Currently I just use the EQ1 and tripod it came with. It's light enough, but probably wouldn't pack down into a suitcase. Previously I have mounted it on an old spotting 'scope tripod - it was a Manfrotto.

DD

Archived