Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 20th Feb 2014

Hi,

I finally managed to get some clear skies and time to do some imaging. First time since August last year I think and first time on Jupiter since acquiring my EQ5 Pro.

The seeing was pretty poor and I found focusing tricky due to my focuser misbehaving. Its now been stripped, cleaned, lubed and reassembled following Astro Baby's excellent guide. I found the main problem was the cog (which engages with the rack on the focuser tube) was slipping on the focus wheel's spindle - a dab of superglue fixed the problem.

All taken with a Exploerer 130P witha a x2.5 barlow and Phillips SPC 900nc. Avi's were 3 minutes long and comprised c.1800 farmes. They were pre-processed in PIPP keeping the best 1000 frames and with quality weighting checked. All were aligned and stacked in RegiStax 6.

There's not much detail (I'm not sure what I can realistically expect to achieve), but I'm quite happy with the colours which seem much more subtle that my previous attempts. As always, I would welcome any comments, feedback or suggestions :)

post-26939-0-13598800-1393151219.jpg

post-26939-0-85784600-1393151219.jpg

post-26939-0-75319800-1393151220.jpg

very nice............now maybe I can compare. I've been having some set-up issues using prime focus on my system. I've been out today in the light and I've got it sorted.  So if  and when the clouds clear, I`ll try a snap or two and see what I can achieve. Ive got 3 Moon images already in my gallery, but I need to get closer. The Moon is too low in my skies at present to take another, so Jupiter will be next.

Most excellent! So this is with about 650mm of focal length x2 then?

It was a 2.5 Barlow, so (650 x 2.5)/130 = f12.5 if my rather dodgy maths are correct?? I tried adding a 50mm extension tube after the Barlow to try and get a the image a little bigger, but couldn't achieve focus. It's also far too much weight for the 130Ps focuser.

inedible_hulk........ Hi again, No contest, I didn't achieve the results I was after, and nothing to show. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Remembering, I didn't buy my set-up for photographic use.

TBH I'm definitely finding it two steps forward and one step back, though that's half the fun! You've certainly had more success with A-focal images than I have. I hope you have more success next time :)

Archived