Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice before purchasing first telescope

Update, after more than two months trying to decide on a scope, I'm going for the SW 200P Dob. Main reason obviously is that 8" mirror & ease of use & the advice from you all here.  Thanks for that.  It will get me started with observing & getting used to a telescope.  I still intend to perhaps next year go for the  150PDS & HEQ5 for AP. After Hubby sees the size of this scope he may be grateful for anything I get that  is slightly smaller, albeit more expensive. :evil:  :grin:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure I won't be.  Of course I'll be looking for advice next re eyepieces, was just going to buy a 2x Barlow, plus a Collimator & leave it at that until I get used to the scope.

purdo........ hi Mary, if your 200P does arrive, the BST's are highly regarded. Your Skywatcher "Super" 25mm will be fine. The "Super" 10mm will be the one to upgrade/replace. 

I tried the 8mm BST "Starguider" and have never looked back. Nice bright image, wide view (60° AFOV and good eye relief)  As you can see, I now have the full set. 

If you buy a pair of BST's and don't like one of them, you can return it for a full refund, or get another one. The 5mm really needs good conditions, so may not be used that often and at 240x power, your reaching the limits of what's capable with the telescope. Although technically 50x per inch is the rule of thumb (Patrick Moore said so?) which gives 400x under  a perfect vacuum and no weather conditions?  that will be hard to achieve on anything but the Moon, under UK skies (  If you can keep up with the Moon at that magnification!!) The Panaview 32mm is very nice too. The Moon just sits in a Sea of space, and is great for the widest views.

I've used a 35mm film cannister to collimate, then purchased a next gen laser and just recently the Long tube Cheshire. All from the same outlet? A laser is great if your on your own, and you need to tweak/adjust the primary mirror ( you can set up the whole telescope if you want with the laser, but I found that Barlowing the laser to adjust only the primary mirror [ the last stage of collimation] whilst out and alone is my choice of use). I also tried a TELRAD, but without wearing my glasses, the TELRAD didn't work for me - I don't wear glasses at the eyepiece, so I chose to sell the TELRAD. I like the standard  9x50 Finder scope, but many folk have a RACI (Right Angled Corrected Image) finder, which puts the standard finder redundant.

Having what I have, and knowing what I now know, I would recommend the 8mm & 12mm BST Starguiders, the long version Cheshire, and a comfortable seat, for starters.

Bear in mind now, summer is just around the corner, and dark nights are far and few between [only 5 Months till October, and the winter season starts again ~  which is when I bought my Celestron in 2013 and 10 Days later the Skyliner arrived]

.......enjoy your new telescope when it arrives.

Thank you Charic, will take on board what you have suggested, I did have the RACI on my list, but forgot to mention it.  I actually have  the Dob, RACI &  the Premium Cheshire in my "basket" on FLO' s  website. Where would I buy the long version Cheshire please.  I am just checking to see what  I would buy now in one go, so to speak, to cut down on carriage charges to N.I.

I've been looking at a couple of suppliers for the 200P & came across a cheaper one from Philip Burton Photography via e bay (not his website) for £249.99 free carriage to mainland UK but to here it was £50.00.  Which works out the same as FLO, their carriage is £24.00, but you're right at the moment FLO is the cheapest. The postage via Royal Mail is normally ok, but it's the courier to here that hikes it up. Will look at that link ok, thank you.

........I know how you feel purdo about the postal costs. Its the same for me. I live in NE Scotland, Moray, yet own an Inverness postcode (Scottish politics?).  kerching! say the couriers! Inverness is an Island in the Highlands????

Pulsar were the cheapest for me, after having checked out PB's site, and although some folk say buy from a reputable dealer? he is an authorised dealer, but even though I'm still UK mainland according to Royal Mail, PB still insisted that I had to pay more due to the couriers. Pulsar only charged me £10 to my address, perfect. Its the same charges to NI, but  Pulsar Optical are now selling for £299.99 ,  increased from £249!

I know it makes you wonder sometimes, but never mind, onward & upward. I'm going to order the scope next weekend.  I just missed out on a SW200 on a HEQ5 mount plus eye pieces etc for £260 on gumtree :cry:  :cry:  just used for GCSE course local in N.I. 

Regarding eyepieces - look at the Maxvision ones from Explore Scientific for longer FL's - www.explorescientific.co.uk.

The 68o ones for around £50-70 (16mm, 20mm, 24mm) are unbranded Meade 5000 SWA's which go for well over £200.  Plenty on here about them and at that price it is rude not to.

BST's seem to be the value choice for shorter FL's although I quite like the look of the William Optic SPL's (FLO for those).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Dob has arrived & of course it's raining. I eventually bought from Andy of North Down Telescopes, who lives 10 minutes from me.  He gave me a run through & showed me how to collimate it. :grin:  So can't wait now to get it out.  Definitely clear skies, please, please.

Archived