NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skymax 150 PRO

Re. 2" back ends - The nay-sayers will probably say... not(!). But certainly many MAK users document experiments with 2" back ends. I can only relate my own experiences with a MAK127, where I certainly have had great success with a T2 (Screw on) 35mm Baader Maxbright diagonal. This allows VISUAL illumination of 2" eyepieces w/field stops equivalent to 32mm/70 Deg (e.g. ~Pan 35). Other users have gone to a full 2" diagonals with appropriate adaptor/diagonal and see no (visual) vignetting to even bigger TFoV. Above all, the additional rigidity of a (pseudo!) 2" setup allows me to safely use Hyperions, in 2" mode, esp. without fear of the beggars falling out! :D

maksutov.gif

A typical (rough) diagram shows that it is perhaps not easy to predict where vignetting will occur in a MAK - Clearly not the exit hole itself, but upstream, at the tip of the baffle/mirror transit tube? Without ray tracing that is a (my) guess, and sadly I cannot comment directly on the 150 / 180 - The limiting field is going to be smaller by say 1500/1800 (ratio of focal length wrt MAK127) for the former... BUT it would seem very worthwhile to experiment. I could get some notion of the potential size of field stop that my MAK will illuminate by removing the diagonal, poking the scope thru curtains and standing behind in the darked room, with a white card! Whatever, and as I say, mechanically, a 2" system certainly turns a rather "rubbish" back end into something much more "convincing"... :D

There's at least one other thread on this very topic. I used to own this scope (now sold to a fellow forum member), and made use of a 2" (as opposed to SCT) visual back/adaptor without problems. As macavity says, it offers the dual benefits of increased FOV and better mechanical strength. I bought the adaptor with the scope from Bern at www.modernastronomy.com.

Archived