NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New mount and scope ~ £1000

Given a budget of £1000 and I am looking for a whole new observing/ AP setup.

I am looking for a new mount and scope in the past I owned a 6" dob but recently sold this.

I am a 50/50 observer/ AP. I am looking for suggestions for scope and mount. I am open to any type of ota. Though I like viewing planets I am more interested in DSO.

What would people suggest for a new scope and mount?

When suggesting I have a number of EP, a 2x barlow so this can be taken out of the price. I also have a suitable power tank which can be used with most motorised mounts so this doesnt have to be in the price.

My initial thoughts were:

• HEQ5 mount

And one of the following OTA

• 150PDS OTA
  • Skywatcher 80ED PRO

I would be interested in other peoples thoughts.

I think that an AP and visual rig are very different things and what suits one certainly won't suit the other. The 80ED that is list is an excellent starter scope for AP and with an HEQ5, you couldn't start off with anything better within that budget. But for visual this will be pretty lacking. Could you not look for a second hand 8" dob for the observing side of things?

The only way I can think of to do both AP and visual on a budget with one rig is to use a Newt on an HEQ5. On the visual side the Newt beats the small apo, on the visual side the small apo makes things easier. I might be tempted, on the staility and guiding front, to stick below 8 inches and go for 6. Don't forget the coma corrector, and any change would be a good thing because you will soon want to autoguide. Its a part of imaging life unless you pay car prices for your mount.

Olly

Archived