NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skylines 200p assembly help

Busy assembling my 200p - all going well so far except for the feet. I feel that they should screw tight against the base but they don't. The screws don't seem to screw in far enough. So they are loose - just wondering if this right?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Busy assembling my 200p - all going well so far except for the feet. I feel that they should screw tight against the base but they don't. The screws don't seem to screw in far enough. So they are loose - just wondering if this right?

.........On the off chance the feet are upside down? The end  that looks like a secondary mirror holder should be flush to the base, the narrowest end on the floor.

EDIT* if you think your going to round the screw heads, use a larger/tighter fit screwdriver.

Sorry if this is really basic, mistakes do happen!

As I said mine were the same but a bit of muscle got them tight. Have you got anything you can use as a washer to pad out the gap, put it between the screw and the foot, ie inside the foot?

Can you push a cocktail stick or similar into a screw hole to check its depth. If it seems deep enough, then more effort to screw the screw in is required? take into consideration how much screw is exposed from the foot.

EDIT. Moox........my thoughts also, but if not enough thread is inserted to the base, the slightest knock may dislodge the foot?

Seem to remember mine got a good fair way in before the apparent stop, was only the last couple of mm that needed to be 'forced'. The gap was not enough the make the feet fall out but enough to make them wobble.

I did it!!! I enlarge the holes very slightly with my screwdriver the used every once of strength I had and manged to them in. My hands are now red raw.

Whilst we're on the subject, the central should be fairly loose right so that the base rotates. I can't get it much more than finger tight

Thanks everyone for your help - having cup of tea now then it will be time to unpack the ota

As Moox says, just needs pinching up. You`ll feel when its right. If you lift the base support and the bottom base wiggles a bit, its too loose. If the Dobsonian is stiff to move, too tight. Enjoy your Earl Grey!

EDIT. If you get a clear night tonight, give it a try. Start out with the 25mm then move onto the 10mm. If its still light where you are now, go outside and look at something in the distance. The further away the better (I'm talking Miles) then lock the scope into position. then look through the finder scope and align that without moving the telescope  to the same target. That's the telescope and finder aligned.

If you find the final images of the stars, Moon ect are not quite right, read this a few times     http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm    if there is a requirement, just use the manual method. The dust cap you have on your focuser can be modified with a small hole for the purpose. Enjoy

Thanks for that Charic, I think it was a little loose but I managed to tighten it a bit more by holding the head of the bolt with pliers.

Just got to sort out the ota now. Skies looking pretty cloudy but keep your fingers crossed for some clear patches, I'm desperate to try it out!

There is an 'O' that has to be applied to the recess on the barrel of the 9x50 finder scope. I little washing liquid/water helps when fitting the scope into its receiver. If its not in focus, the Objective lens can be adjusted. Unlock the smaller collar, then rotate the object barrel accordingly. Once satisfied, re apply the locking ring.

Right or left handed makes no difference, you have to sit on the side of the telescope with the focuser. The OTA handle with the spring is located this side too. Once seated and viewing, one hand sits on the locking handle, the left hand on the small chin handle? Another catch you out is that the focuser does not travel. There is a large locking bolt underneath the focuser assembly. just make sure its loosened off. Try it, leave it locked, and you'll still be able to turn the focuser wheels, but nothing else moves. Then unlock the focuser, and the tube then comes out during focusing. Adding heavy eyepieces or cameras can have an affect of self closing the focuser tube. There is a small Alan bolt adjacent to the locking bolt, this adjusts the friction. Its a simple affair. A rubber sleeve over a spindle that your turning, in contact with the focuser tube. The adjuster just allows the rubber sleeve to press harder onto the focuser tube.

Archived