Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter's new satellite

DRT

I was looking at Jupiter a few minutes ago at around 200x and a bright white object flashed across my FOV and straight across the planetary disk. I looked up immediately and saw a satellite drifting away from Jupiter towards the east. A quick look at Stelarium revealed that it was the Soviet research satellite Intercosmos 25.

Very cool to see a man made object moving between me and such a small area so far away in space.

I would love to know how to track the ISS with my CPC but given the speed this one flashed across my FOV I'm not sure the scope could keep up with it.

I had gone outside for a smoke and when I looked up between Jupiter and Orions belt watched something drift between them before it faded behind the cloud. Thinking that this was just a satellite, I have just checked on Stellarium and this is my first confirmed sighting if the ISS.

Well chuffed!  :smiley:

I had gone outside for a smoke and when I looked up between Jupiter and Orions belt watched something drift between them before it faded behind the cloud. Thinking that this was just a satellite, I have just checked on Stellarium and this is my first confirmed sighting if the ISS.

Well chuffed!  :smiley:

If you have an iPhone or iPad download the app ISS Spotter and it will tell you when it is passing your location. It's a cool app and very accurate.

I would love to know how to track the ISS with my CPC but given the speed this one flashed across my FOV I'm not sure the scope could keep up with it.

I've installed an add on for EQMod that allows satellite's but havn't tried it yet

its on the EQMod homepage

I accidentally caught the ISS in my FOV with the CPC once.  It moves very fast, and was only in the EP for a fraction of a second.  

I did try and catch up to it again with the scope, but the slew speeds on the CPC just weren't fast enough to try and catch it (not to mention the difficulty of trying to move the scope, whilst simultaneously trying to look at the sky and through the EP).  

My only thought at the time re tracking this was if the scope could be used without electronics to control it... ie. loosen the alt-as locking knobs and move the scope just using the handle.  Not sure if it would work though! 

Archived