Ground breaking for pier

Stevp

Greetings

thats a very nice looking piece of functional art you have there! Traditional styling clasic matarial blended with a modern function!

you are the artist astonomer !

Beautiful

Andy

I am the proud owner of the functional art, but it's got to be praise to dad for making it up. He is a manufacturing joiner, you might have guessed, and he has loved the project. If i'd attempted to make it myself it would have come out a lot more like the aforementioned bird table :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it will wobble a bit with the length of the bars and they're not very thick, another thing it looks like your need a ladder to look through the EP, is it as high as it looks, nice job on the woodwork though.....

Super but I do still wonder if the threaded bars need to be so long.

Olly

Thanks Olly,

The gap between the top of the wood and the bottom of the aluminium is around 90mm at the moment, i can probably drop it another 10, before the bolt wont fit under, which i will do when i next set up.

I think it will wobble a bit with the length of the bars and they're not very thick, another thing it looks like your need a ladder to look through the EP, is it as high as it looks, nice job on the woodwork though.....

Thanks tinker.

The m10 bolts go through m10 holes through the ali by nearly an inch which holds it tight. I was set up last night and very pleased with the stability. As mentioned to Olly i take the point about the length of the bars and will reduce it to the minimum to get the bolt under. I'll see about replacing the bolt with a stainless one then I can leave it out and probably drop it further. Although at my level with an eq3-2 and just for visual it's not an issue to me (yet?).

I am 6'2 and no ladder was necessary last night :) maybe the photo is a little deceptive.

Please do keep the comments and constructive criticisms coming though, i'm not going to get too offended, all of these points can only help me (and others reading this) improve :)

I've just been and done an exercise in how much room I can comfortably manage to remove and fasten the bolt. I've reduced the height by around 20mm. So all in all thats not a bad improvement. Holding on to the aluminium and trying to move it it doesn't appear to have made any difference, but I've now got about 20% less length on the bolts, so i'm guessing a small improvement on sturdiness.

ynu8yvy7.jpg

You'll love having a fixed pier. It's a life changer.

3 days in and I'm loving it already! It's almost a pleasure to set up. Big improvement on polar aligning both in the time taken and the improvement to tracking with my little eq3-2 motors.

Have set up now two nights where without it I just wouldn't have bothered. In my mind it's already paid back the effort involved. I am enthused again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived