Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

APT connectivity issues with EOS

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all - I'm trying out APT with my EOS 350D but it keeps disconnecting after about 10 seconds or so. I've switched off the time out/battery saver and am using the Print/PTP connection rather than (oddly) PC Connection. What gives anyone? 

cheers

frank

Hi Frank,

I have the same problem but  mine is to do with the Windows trying to connect automatically to the camera. I have no choice but to let the APT crash, then cancel the windows thing and restart APT again and usually on the 2nd or third attempt it auto connects to the camera, it is quite frustrating though.

Regards,

A.G

What OS are you using. I know that Canon do not supply drivers any more for the 350D (got one of them) in Win 7 & 8. I use mine with a Win XP laptop without any problems, well apart from the in built limitations of the 350D. Ive also got a 70D and thats sooo much nicer to use.

Hi all - yeah I have a 64bit win 7; I'm installing Win XP on VM Ware to see if that helps. I found an official Canon USB cable in the loft in my IXUS box but it's still loosing connection after a couple of seconds. If set to PC Connection, it doesn't connect at all, so only Print/PTP works. For about 5 seconds lol. Am looking to buy a second hand Live view support body in the next month or so...hurray! 

frank

• 10 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I'm also having this exact problem with my 350D but I'm using Win 7, 32-bit. I really wanted to use APT but am getting nowhere at the moment!

Ivo, I have the camera plugged in via 2 cables - the USB cable and a serial trigger cable - is that correct?

My 350D is only seen by APT if I have 'Print/PTP' selected in the camera menu, not at all when 'PC Connection' is selected.

When it IS seen by APT, it is recognised as a 350D, then, after about 5 seconds I get the message:

Camera disconnected

! Communication problem! Exit APT, restart the camera, stop all Canon utilities, start APT.

I don't know if it will help, but 'busy' also flashes on the camera info screen? (But it does seem to do this whenever the USB cable is connected)

As an aside, DSLR Shutter by Stark Labs works, but only if the USB cable is not connected, i.e. with just the serial trigger cable.

Anybody got any ideas?

Hi Brent,

Please make sure that you have installed the edition that is labeled "Digic 2". When you start APT you have to see in the upper left corner 2.71" (note the quotes). This edition should work fine with your 350D in "PC Connection" mode :) when both the USB and serial cables are used.

Hi Ivo,

Thanks for the fast reply, I'll definitely be buying to support you if I can get this working!

I forgot to say that I did install the Digic 2 version, 2.71"

No luck when in 'PC Connection' mode though :(

I just get:  ! Cannot detect camera

Just noticed that when the camera is in 'PC Connection' mode I get the 'de de de' USB sound which signifies a connection error when I turn the camera on. (Dodgy netbook speaker!)

Will try a driver re-install now.

It would appear that the driver wasn't installed properly - however, when I uninstalled and tried to reinstall by pointing the driver update installer to the driver (the one you linked above, Ivo) I get this:

post-12649-0-24097500-1421159390_thumb.j

I'm very stuck now. Can I alter the .inf file somehow?

Ok... Please uninstall the driver, unplug and plug the camera again, then try to make a connection.

If it is not possible try to install the EOS Utilities from the disk that came with the camera (do you have the disk?).

Thanks Ivo.

I'd found version 8 but went with yours instead, then had problems installing and ended up downloading from someone in the comments who had made an iso of his original disk, turned out to be 2.10.2.0 (Hope that's still okay?) So now have it installed :grin:

What do I do now? (and thanks again for all this help, I really do appreciate it)

Still the same problems after a restart, unfortunately :sad:

I'm wondering if the OS is not being recognised properly by the driver as it is a cut down, Lite version of Win7 to run on the netbook better. Never had problems with any other drivers, but it is the driver and not APT's fault. (By the way, in Print/PTP mode the camera is recognised in Device Manager as a portable device - Canon EOS 350D, it's just when I switch it to PC Connection mode that it becomes unknown in Device Manager).

I can't do anything about that though as re-installing all the other programs and drivers would take too long and I'd never get it back to how it currently is :sad:

I'll stick with DSLR Shutter for the time being, but thanks for all your help Ivo. I'd heard that your support is second to none and you've definitely proved that here!

Archived