Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Immediate snag in Collimating

Right ok think I'm getting better but not quite sure;

As you can see in the pic below (this is my telescope unlike the Page 1 pic!) I have the Secondary pretty much centered, if anything the collimation caps reflective surface is'nt exactly centered, off to the left a bit too much.

But now can you see what I'm on about with the "flat" edges of the Secondary? (top and bottom) As before I simply cannot get a Circle of the Secondary, if I do the alignment with the Primary is too far off.

Ignoring that for a moment I think I've got to get the image more centered, i.e. Collimation Cap Reflection a bit to the right, but I'm still unsure about getting a near "circle" of the secondary. As you can see I can only see 2 of the 4 screws on the Sedondary and can barely see the Clips that hold the Primary in position.

post-32040-0-98637400-1392553558_thumb.j

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks about perfect next just check with Cheshire can you see three mirror clips use the three adjustment screws get them that's your tilt sorted.

ok cool thanks I'm getting somewhere at long last! With the Collimation Cap I can see the Top & Right Clips but not  the Left, with the Cheshire I cant see any clips :confused:

I have those flat edges on my SkyWatcher 200pds. Also, can't see those clips on the primary with a chesire, the primary is probably quite far up in the tube I suppose.

Like i said move your focuser in and out with your Cheshire in and see if you can see your clips. Either that or put a piece of card in the front and block the reflection of your primary and another coloured piece opposite your focuser then look down you should see something very similar to post 26 on this thread, this will show you if your secondary is too far in or out of you OTA.

I had similar problems with my 200p.I found after I removed the secondery mirror there lots of score marks on the back of the mirror holder caused by the three screws used for alignment.Nomatter what I did it reverted back to its original position which was wrong.Using a grinding stone By hand I I smoothed out the score marks and then put a washer between the collimating screws and the mirror holder.Before doing this I alingned the part that holds the screws in place then placed it over the washer which I coloured with a felt tip pen and then spotted thru using a drill bit the right size before drilling 3 dimples in the washer.This now provides location points for the screws and smooth adjustments for the secondery mirror and no more scoring.

Hope this helps Jonn

Ok just had a brief cloud gap and tried the scope out, seemed to be working just fine after my first proper collomating, I saw the bands on Jupiter just fine, even noticed extra detail in a Red band (white areas within) so by my reckoning I did ok :grin:

Got a plastic milk lid saved and will check out the video above and see if I can make life easier in the future.

Many Many thanks again to everyone who helped here and by PM :smiley:

Archived