Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting started - nexstar 8se power supply alternative

Hi all,

my first post (and first scope!) so bear with me! Apologies if it seems lazy but i have trawled and trawled through the forums for a viable alternative to the celestron power tanks for my new scope.

I have seen the celestron tanks but i am thinking maybe they are expensive just because they are branded, and wonder if there are alternative power sources out there? i have read about maplins being good for car jump packs? is this the case?

can anyone recomend anything to me in the £50 - £70 price range? I am thinking i will use the supply for powering the scope / mount itself and eventually electrical dew control systems, possibly a laptop although not essential and potentially much further along the line!!

I'm 29 now and have wanted a proper telescope for 25 years near enough! i dont want my first proper experience ruined by dodgy batteries!!

Thanks all for your help!

Karl

I've got the 6se which has the same mount as the 8se and I've always used the maplins jump starter without any problems. This one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/nikkai-portable-jumpstarter-3-in-1-400a-a81jw

It will definitely be fine for the mount, possibly with the dew controller too but think it may struggle to cope with a laptop as well, but by that point you may want another powertank/jumpstarter to cope with everything anyway.

But no hesitation recommending the jumpstarter for the mount. Just have to remember to never let it run flat and charge it perhaps once a month even when not in use to keep it functioning properly.

And enjoy your new scope - it's a lovely piece of kit.

Matsey :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with a power tank is simply that if you drain them then they are damaged and become useless.

As the Celestron and Maplin offerings will use pretty small lead acid batteries they are easy to drain.

Not helped by the simple fact that a person will use one until it cannot supply enough power any more - meaning it is drained and damaged, so you need a new one.

You also list a lot of bits to run off of one.

People have built their own from a leisure battery - different characteristics and construction. Also generally means they are bigger and last longer also.

There are the Tracer batteries around, Li-polymer or relateed technology, recent post on a problem with at least one of them, equally posts in the thread. Should be good but also fairly costly.

Thanks all, some helpful advice. I decided to go with the maplin option for the time being as cheap and fit for purpose! Managed to take alook out of the scope after some gaff with trying to locate the moon, but wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a Maplin powertank is great for starting out as it is fairly cheap and in my opinion a lot better than the astrotanks.   They can be charged as you use them and if the battery does give up it is not too hard to open it up find out what battery is in there and replace it for about £20-£25. Battery replacement is also true of the astrotanks.

Hello Karl, I used to have a Nexstar 6se and used the Skywatchers Powertank 17ah, I have never had a problem with it whilst in use or charging and I would get 3/4 days of observing in cold weather before requiring charging, that's a lot of cold hours spent outside!!! I have sold my Nexstar and have a 12" Lightbridge but decided to keep the Powertank for Dew control and charging my mobile phone!! I have heard negative stories but after three and half years the Powertank works like new!!

A friend of mine bought a Powertank from Maplins for his Nexstar 8se again no issues with the scope compatibility and they are cheaper also look out for the ones with the inverter!! Which is a nice little addition which the Powertanks don't have.

Archived