Im wondering what would be a good starting telescope?

A few hundred meters should be OK. You can always fine tune the alignment on something at night like the Moon. The finder scope should have a rubber "O" ring around its body that holds it into it's mount. If the "O" ring is missing it will flop around. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few hundred meters should be OK. You can always fine tune the alignment on something at night like the Moon. The finder scope should have a rubber "O" ring around its body that holds it into it's mount. If the "O" ring is missing it will flop around. 

I just went to check. There doesnt appear to be any "o" ring at all on the finder scope. There was NOTHING else in the packiging at all.....so could it be that i need that bit? The finder scope is pretty wobbly to be honest

I have an ST80. It is OK for the brighter star clusters and the moon but you will see very little detail on planets.

Also, I think the mount the scope is on is fiddly to use and wobbly.

Really? I have an ST80 (only used it a couple of times) but for its size I get some excellent views. 

Anyway more about the mount. I got the STO with EQ1 table mount at it feels solid. Very little wobble!  What mount and tripod are you using it on?

As a beginner scope I would personally say look at the ST80 for 4 key reasons.

1. Its cheap. £100 for a scope and tripod.

2. Gives good views of all objects beginners want to see.

3. Can you moved, stored and setup easily. Its the kind of scope you can always take on holiday as it can be easily stored in the car or plane.

4. When you buy a second, third or fourth scope this one can be used as a nice upgraded finderscope.

its ok Friends......problem solved.....i felt sure when john mentioned the "o" ring, that i had seen something along that lines. So....i went for a rumage thro my rubbish and found it. So its made the finder scope a lot more stable. I showed my son a peek thro his telescope when i was setting it up. Was only a couple of seagulls sitting on top of a streetlight in the distance, but he was so delighted lol

Now..........................bring on the night skies. Id like to thank everyone for taking the time to help. it sure was appreciated. id be over the moon (no pun intended) if my son got the stargazing bug :)

appologies if i confused you ref referring to a red dot. I thought you had said it had a red dot finder type, not a finder scope.

Anyway, glad to know you have it almost sorted, let us know how you get on  :smiley:

Hi Smee, you need at least to have the diagonal fixed firmly in the focuser.  Then by the 10mm adaptor do you mean the Super 10mm eyepiece?  If so, you need to start by using the lower power Super 25mm eyepiece and one in you need to focus it by winding the focuser in or out.  I should not think it is broken, it's just knowing what to use in what order.  If the Moon is around that's always a good first target, but if not as at present, try and focus on Jupiter, the brightest object in the night sky.  Good luck!

Archived