Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Powering an EQ5 goto upgrade.

Apologies if this has been asked before , I can't seem to find a way to  search the forums?

I'm planning on getting the goto upgrade for my EQ5 mount. Now as 90% of my stargazing is done in my back garden (where I have access to a mains supply) I was wondering if it was at all possible to power the syscan via the mains - possibly using an adaptor of some sort.

Has anyone tried this? Is it possible?

Or will I have to purchase one of the power tanks anyway?

On another note , I've noticed a few people here mentioning Maplins power tanks instead of Skywatcher ones. If I am to be a slave to a power tank - which Maplin (or any other brand) power tank would you guys recommend?

And how do you A, edit posts?
                   and B, search the forums?

Thanks guys

And how do you A, edit posts?

and B, search the forums?

A - You need to reach a certain post count to be able to edit, 250 I think it is. 

B - To search the forums, at the top right of the page you should see the search function. At least, it is for me.

Hope this helps.

A - You need to reach a certain post count to be able to edit, 250 I think it is. 

B - To search the forums, at the top right of the page you should see the search function. At least, it is for me.

Hope this helps.

Yeah I see it now D'oh!

Cheers :)

Most of us with observatories use 13.8v regulated supplies, rated at 4A or more.  You could do the same, but I would advise running a long low voltage lead from the supply to the scope rather than using the PSU outside near the scope as dew and 240v don't mix

Archived