NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Luminos vs X-cel eyepieces

Hi all, hope at least some of you are getting some decent seeing in. I'm in the midlands and it has been almost universally rubbish for the last few weeks :-/ Anyway, I digress....

I currently have ( and am pretty happy with ) a set of X cel eyepieces to use on my CPC 925. I have the 25mm, 18mm and 7mm, along with both the 2x and 3 x Barlows. Recently have had my head turned by a couple of things. The Luminos eyepieces look great and to start with, I'd look at getting the 10 and 15 mm eyepieces with a view to getting the larger ones when I can afford a decent 2" diagonal too. My question is this - are the luminos eyepieces so dramatically better than the X cels that it's worth replacing the lot? If not, is there a " missing eyepiece" I should add to my collection in your considered opinions?

Thanks all - and whilst on here, again a huge Thankyou for your help thus far. It's been a short but very exciting journey from first viewing to here :-)

Andrew

I haven't used the Celestron E-Cel LX's but the Luminos (old Axiom LX's) are pretty good and quite immersive (to use that fasionable word!).  I like them, I have the 10mm Axiom LX and it is a cracker, sharp and clear as a bell, a great medium eyepiece and a great addition in my armoury.

The 5mm X-Cel LX is good in my opinion. I don't own a Luminos, but they are 82o, so that'll be quite a difference in FOV. I suppose, the answer is to buy the ones that are "missing" from your set and then see if the difference warrants upgrading the others.

Cheers

If your X-Cel's are the original version, ie not the LX model, then the Luminos will be a huge improvement in everyway. However if you have the newer LX version of the X-Cel, then optically the difference will be much smaller. The X-Cel LX is a very nice eyepiece for the money only losing out in apparent field of view.

Archived