Want to start astro imaging - £2k budget

Yes, I think that will work well.  I have both the CG5 and the newer AVX mounts and they carry an 80ED OTA and a DSLR easily.  I started with 30 second unguided on the CG-5 using a Canon DSLR; most of the exposures were OK.

Now it's the AVX, with either two 80mm scopes side by side or a RC150 with an 80mm piggy backed.  CCD cameras, and a motorised filter wheel and focuser.  My experience is that the AVX will carry this sort of weight with no problems.

Th key is the 80mm scope, the shorter focal length makes tracking and guiding less critical and you can get some encouragingly nice images.

Chris

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know much about the AVX so I won't comment on that.

You mention you'll be travelling. I think that rules out the bigger heavier NEQ6.

You could as an alternative go for something like

HEQ5 Pro synscam

ED80 or 130PDS or 150PDS

--

This basic setup would then leave you enough to think about guiding, and correctors  / reducers and all the various other bits and pieces you might need or want (power tanks etc).

If you want to do DSO imaging, the mount and guiding are really key, in a way you're better off concentrating and practicing to perfect guiding and imaging before thinking how to get a really expensive tube. Also the sort of setup I mention above will be relatively wide-field and allow you to get started more easily, if you jump in with over 1m of focal length it's going to be a harder process to get started, you might end up disappointed very quickly.

But, if it turns out you really get into planets and very narrow field stuff, you might want an SCT or similar, basically if you want to cover all things well you'll probably end up with more than one tube - so think of it as getting started wisely with £2k in terms of getting stuff to learn and build on and you should be all set of years of fun ahead!

Good luck.

• 7 months later...

Forgive me for interjecting with a newb question.  What does "HEQ" stand for?  High-quality Equatorial?  Heavy Equatorial?  I'm just curious, and I couldn't find an answer in the glossary thread here (or by googling).  Thanks in advance.

Sigh. If you do DSO imaging with the EdgeHD800 (or any other SCT for that matter), you will add the 0,63 FR to bring the focal ratio Down to F6,3.

And so far, the reviews of the new VX Mount have been pretty good! With excellent error correction so far.

I wouldn't do too much sighing because Nameeth remains correct in my view. Also the F6.3 reducer incorporates a flattener and does not work with the Edge HD, as discussed. The F6.3 reducer on the standard SCTs does not give great field flatness or star shapes, though it can give acceptable ones with care. On top of that the pixels of a DSLR are really too small for the focal length even reduced and, being one shot colour, cannot be binned 2X2. So there is more to fast imaging than F ratio. The OP with a focally reduced 8 inch SCT would be working at about 0.6 arcseconds per pixel. That strikes me as optimistic. Will the seeing allow that? Will the guiding allow that? And how slow will that be? In short why would you set yourself these obstacles? Getting started in imaging is hard enough with an easier and more tolerant rig.

Lots of people new to AP read the ads and go straight for the SCT because it looks the part. On the right targets and on the right mount and with the right camera it can be the part as well but is it a good way to begin? I would say not. Like most people I'd always advise a short focal length fast system working between 2 and 3 arcseconds per pixel. Fast, effective, productive, tolerant. A route to enjoyment rather than frustration.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2266922474&k=Sc3kgzc

Forgive me for interjecting with a newb question.  What does "HEQ" stand for?  High-quality Equatorial?  Heavy Equatorial?  I'm just curious, and I couldn't find an answer in the glossary thread here (or by googling).  Thanks in advance.

HEQ is Honest Eastern Quirkiness; probably the reason I can't part with mine after seven years.

Archived